cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
muol
Token Ring
Views: 695
Message 11 of 14

Re: RAID 0 Data Request failing on Intel(r) Matrix Storage Console - Which drive is port 0?

@hazart wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, muol. Would you mind running an ATTO Disk Benchmark on your current RAID0 setup and share the results with us W700 users? You can download the latest Disk Benchmark Tool (v2.43) from the official ATTO website: http://www.attotech.com/software/files/drivers/Benchmark.zip

Sure, I happen to have a 3rd Scorpio Blue 640GB in my ultra bay right now so I can compare RAID0 with a single drive:
RAID0
Single drive
However I'm suspicious about this benchmark. If I understood correctly it uses a maximum transfer size of 8MB? Since the drive cache is 8MB as well wouldn't it just show the transfer speed of the caches? That would explain why write and read performance is nearly equal in both tested setups.
----------------------------------
ThinkPad W700, W701, T40p, T420, X200S, TPT2, Twist, ThinkStation D20, ThinkCentre M90z, M92p, M93p
hazart
WWAN
Views: 652
Message 12 of 14

Re: RAID 0 Data Request failing on Intel(r) Matrix Storage Console - Which drive is port 0?

@muol wrote:

@hazart wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, muol. Would you mind running an ATTO Disk Benchmark on your current RAID0 setup and share the results with us W700 users? You can download the latest Disk Benchmark Tool (v2.43) from the official ATTO website: http://www.attotech.com/software/files/drivers/Benchmark.zip

Sure, I happen to have a 3rd Scorpio Blue 640GB in my ultra bay right now so I can compare RAID0 with a single drive:
RAID0
Single drive
However I'm suspicious about this benchmark. If I understood correctly it uses a maximum transfer size of 8MB? Since the drive cache is 8MB as well wouldn't it just show the transfer speed of the caches? That would explain why write and read performance is nearly equal in both tested setups.

It could be, but from the ATTO help,

"Direct I/O (test option)

If this option is checked, file I/O on the test drive is performed with no system buffering or caching. Combine this option with Overlapped I/O for maximum asynchronous performance.
"

So, I guess the disk cache was bypassed in your test by ATTO, which means the results should be accurate. I'll post my benchmark results soon.

hazart
WWAN
Views: 650
Message 13 of 14

Stock 2X200GB (RAID0 128KB) 7200RPM Hitachi with FDE under Windows 7 x64:

Result

The results may depend on the size of Drive C: (mine is 60GB).

jchorn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 473
Message 14 of 14

It could be, but from the ATTO help,

"Direct I/O (test option)

If this option is checked, file I/O on the test drive is performed with no system buffering or caching. Combine this option with Overlapped I/O for maximum asynchronous performance.
"

So, I guess the disk cache was bypassed in your test by ATTO, which means the results should be accurate. I'll post my benchmark results soon.

Not so fast. "no system buffering or caching" means operating system buffering inside the filesystem, it does not mean a "built-in" disk cache is disabled. You need to look at the algorithm used for the 'Overlapped I/O" test and the type of built-in memory cache scheme used for the drive to tell whether the test 'forces' a disk access during the test when the test is being timed. Even if the disk cache is algorithmically flushed before the test start, there will be some caching going on unless it is explicitly turned off on the disk h/w from the disk driver.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors