Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
M1ck
Punch Card
Views: 754
Message 1 of 5

Raid installation

I've posted this in the Windows 7 dicussion group also! (dont know which group would be best!!)

Has anyone tried installing raid from a usb stick? if so how did you do it? I have tried but cant get my system (W700) to regognise the usb stick!

The install instructions suggest using an external usb floppy drive but I dont have access to one and I dont know how to create a slipstream disk!

I am searching through previous posts but have so far been unable to find anything that helps.

Cheer

Mick

Lenovo thinkpad W700, Q9000 2.00GHz Quad Core 2x 160gb hdd raid1, 4gb ram, 1gb nvidia graphics FX3700m Fingerprint reader, Graphics tablet (digitiser?)
Windows 7 Professional 64bit RAID 1
schmidtj
Token Ring
Views: 742
Message 2 of 5

Re: Raid installation

I did and didn't have any problems with the Win 7 install recognizing my USB Flash Drive which contained the Intel Matrix drivers.
My flash drive is a Sandisk Titanium Cruzer .

M1ck
Punch Card
Views: 727
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Schmidtj,

Its during a clean install when I have trouble with it! 'to install raid drivers press f6' I havent been able to get the usb recognised! I have read somewhere on here though that the raid rivers are automatically installed with win 7 and if I get really stuck there are a couple of local shops that have usb floppy drives!

Going to give it a try over the weekend!

I've also read some where here that the drivers can be added after the installation but it will take a while mitrror the info on the disc!

Mick 

Lenovo thinkpad W700, Q9000 2.00GHz Quad Core 2x 160gb hdd raid1, 4gb ram, 1gb nvidia graphics FX3700m Fingerprint reader, Graphics tablet (digitiser?)
schmidtj
Token Ring
Views: 720
Message 4 of 5

I too have heard the Intel Matrix Drivers are included on the Win 7 install disk. I can not confirm this.
Worst case you'll see 2 drives.

Install on Drive 0 and when Win 7 is installed install the Intel Matrix Drivers and Console and then from within the Console tell it to mirror Drive 1 (or one that shows in the Console that it is is not part of the array).

This assumes you've configured Raid 1 in the BIOS.

PS. If you have a docking station make sure you are inserting the USB Drive into one of the W700 USB ports and not one in the Docking station.

M1ck
Punch Card
Views: 678
Message 5 of 5

All went well!! I now have windows 7 64bit on my W700 no nightmares!!

the only thing I needed to change in the bios was the boot order! inserted the install disc and it took care of everything else! I've even got my turbo memory back!! only time consuming bit was downloading all the lenovo drivers! I think I've put some on uneccessarily through ignorance but there are no exclamation marks in the device manager!

Printers and scanners tomorrow then install my software!! happy days so far!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors