Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 5 (167 Views)

ReadOnly UEFI

Hi, I just bought a 2d hand w541 from a seller. Trying to enter in UEFI requires a password. I tried leaving it empty and it worked, but I can just access to some kind of read-only mode where I have a very limited set of changes I can perform.

Is it possible that there is more than one code?

How could I solve this problem?

Thank you for your time!

Community Moderator
Message 2 of 5 (165 Views)

Re: ReadOnly UEFI

You have a supervisor password that locks the settings, but hitting enter allows read-only access for viewing.  There is no back-door password.  The only "fix", other than remembering the password, is to replace the motherboard.  You should contact the seller for the password or return it, if possible

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 5 (163 Views)

Thank you, I really hope the seller knows it.
I guess that replacing the motherboard in this situation would be not covered by the warranty as it is not a hardware fault but just human imprudence, am I right?
Community Moderator
Message 4 of 5 (146 Views)

You are correct

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 5 (138 Views)

Thank you for your help!
Top Kudoed Authors