Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scikit
Paper Tape
Views: 188
Message 1 of 8

Remove 2.5 HardDisk and stick with just only M.2 (Boot disk) on P52

Hi, I got my new Lenovo Thnkpad P52 Workstation. I'm putting additional M.2 SSD now. I have a 2.5 Spin Drive from factory which have Win10 and as boot disk.

Now, I installed M.2 and want to remove my 2.5 HardDisk completely and keep only M.2 as my Boot Disk. Is it possible ?

Haver anyone tried ? Please share steps ?

What BIOS settings needed to achieve this ?

Is it allowed by Lenovo BIOS/Hardware configuration to use without a 2.5 Disk onboard ?

Thank!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 161
Message 2 of 8

Re: Remove 2.5 HardDisk and stick with just only M.2 (Boot disk) on P52

no problem.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
scikit
Paper Tape
Views: 145
Message 3 of 8

Lenovo BIOS not accepting my USB drive as a boot disk to re-image a Win10 on the new M.2 disk. I see the new USB disk in the boot order's list but when i select to boot it just bails..no errrs thrown .

pjg
802.11n
Views: 122
Message 4 of 8

How did you install your Windows 10 image on your USB key ?  If Secure Boot is enabled, you must have a UEFI / GPT formatted USB boot key.

The best way to do this is to use Rufus to create your bootable USB key.

https://rufus.ie/

In Rufus, make sure "Target" is set to UEFI (non CSM)

This will create a UEFI bootable key which should then boot to install Windows 10 properly to your new M.2 drive.

tecknot
Fanfold Paper
Views: 116
Message 5 of 8

Perhaps your BIOS is not matching with your USB format. Are you booting in UEFI or legacy BIOS (CSM)? Is your USB formatted as GPT or MBR? The USB format must match the BIOS mode, that is, UEFI BIOS for GPT USB format and CSM for MBR USB format.

Kind regards,

tecknot
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 113
Message 6 of 8

@pjg @tecknot

Your advice that the USB drive has to be partitioned to match BIOS boot mode is not quite correct - in my experience.

I only use MBR/FAT32 flash drives to do UEFI installs - on many laptops and PCs - without issues.  That includes safe mode.

I understand that Rufus is popular, but it has several (perhaps too many...) options that can lead users astray.  For clean Win 10 installs I either use the MS media creation tool, or just open a Win 10 install ISO with Windows Explorer, or an archiving tool like 7zip, and copy the ISO contents to a MBR/FAT32 flash drive.  Never had an issue.  (so far...)

For a legacy install the flash drive may need to be formatted NTFS and will need a boot loader installed - either via Rufus, or by preparing the drive with diskpart.

carry on,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

pjg
802.11n
Views: 108
Message 7 of 8

Yes, Rufus was somewhat confusing but it is now much better.  Download Rufus 3.5

1) Click on the diskette to select your ISO image

2) Change the Target System to UEFI

3) Click Start

That's it.

Highlighted
scikit
Paper Tape
Views: 106
Message 8 of 8

Thanks Everyone !

I was able to install Win10 using Windows Media Creation Tool eventually. All trouble was due to wrong way of creating USB Boot disk, i belive now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors