Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_tero
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 337
Message 1 of 10

Removing System Update Package

Hi,

I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad P52s and I have System Update program running on it. I installed updates for:

Synaptics UltraNav Driver 19.3.4.221

Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter Software 12.18.8.4

From it, and things went wrong for some reason (my Thunderbolt docking station is not working properly now), and I need to rollback the updates. How do I do that?

Best regards,

_tero

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 291
Message 2 of 10

Re: Removing System Update Package

I'm not sure how those updates would affect Thunderbolt, but you can try using the "Roll Back Driver" button in Device Manager as follows:

1.  open the device in question (yours are Mice and other pointing devices -> Synaptics pointing device and Network adapters -> Intel Ethernet Connection)

2.  Click on the "Driver" tab

3.  Click on the "Roll back driver" button

_tero
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 270
Message 3 of 10

Hi someotherguy,

Apparently those are not the reason but something causes the Thunderbolt 3 dock to freeze the computer when I turn the computer on.

If I have my dock connected and turn the computer on, one of two things will happen:
1. The laptop hangs on a black screen and fans are on at 100%

2. I will end up with a glitched windows 10 login screen, and fans are on at 100%

Only way to recover from this is to press the power button for 5 seconds to force a shutdown.

The laptop was working fine when I did a fresh install of windows 10, but now it is back to the same behaviour. My last install was the Thunderbolt management software from Lenovo. Any ideas for a fix? Or should I just stop using Lenovo altogether since I can't be expected to be installing Windows 10 again and again after bad driver delivery.

Best regards,

_tero

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 257
Message 4 of 10

Does this happen even if there are no devices connected to the dock?  When I've heard this problem in the past, it is caused by some device on the dock.  Could you please check that and figure out which device is doing it?  Might be a printer, monitor, USB storage, something like that.

_tero
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 243
Message 5 of 10

Hi,

If I'm using something in the DisplayPort or HDMI as an external display, this happens. I don't have any other devices connected.

Any suggestions? Not being able to have my monitor connected is a major downside.

Best regards,

_tero

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 240
Message 6 of 10

Can you give me more details about what the "something" is?  Most people are not having this problem.  Is it some kind of converter dongle?  Or is it a direct connection to your monitor?

Also, what is the 4-digit model number of the Thunderbolt dock?  Have you tried updating the dock firmware?  Due to a technical reason, the dock firmware isn't on System Update yet (we are still working on that) so you would have to get it from the support website.  I can send you the link if you tell me the model number of the dock.

_tero
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 186
Message 7 of 10

Hi,

I meant a display. That was poorly phrased on my part. I have an AOC U3277FWQ, and I mostly use DisplayPort but I did try it with HDMI as well.

Model number of the dockSmiley Very HappyK1841 and type: 40AN.

I have kept the computer up-to-date with everything the product support page gives me.

Best regards,

_tero

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 169
Message 8 of 10

Please download and install the latest 40AN dock firmware from here:  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS505188

The instructions are in the readme:

- Download Thunderbolt3_Dock_Gen2-Workstation_Dock-Firmware.zip from website and unzip it to local disc.
- Connect the dock to the system and make sure power adapter connected and dock working properly.
- Double click "ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen2_Workstation Dock Firmware Update.exe" and start the update process .
- The status bar will be popped up and shows the progress of the firmware update, Please do not power off the dock and system during firmware update process.
- After firmware update process complete, the tool will show the process complete.
- Then click exit button to complete process.
_tero
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 161
Message 9 of 10

Hi,

This did the trick. Seems to be all good now.

Is the only limitation that the dock needs to be Gen2? In case someone else from my company starts to experience the same thing?

Best regards,

_tero

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 152
Message 10 of 10

@_tero wrote:

Hi,

This did the trick. Seems to be all good now.

Is the only limitation that the dock needs to be Gen2? In case someone else from my company starts to experience the same thing?

Best regards,

_tero

There is different firmware for the Gen-1 (non-workstation) dock.  You can find it by going to http://support.lenovo.com and typing in the 4-digit dock model number (like 40AN for your dock).

Also, the dock firmware should be on System Update soon.  We're still working on that.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors