Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScruffyLG
Punch Card
Views: 402
Message 1 of 5

Replace my w520 without reinstalling windows

My w520 (4270CTO) model had a liquid spill accident and now will not start.

I'm presuming it's dead. When connected to an outlet, the battery light flashed a number of times, then turns off.

It's probably not worth the time and cost of having it fixed...I can just get a working replacement on eBay for a few hundred bucks. 

My problem is the following. When I get a new w520, I really want to transfer the mSATA SSD boot drive from the failed computer to the new computer (assuming the SSD isn't damaged), so I don't have to reinstall the operating system and all of the applications, which would take a lot of time. However, I cannot remember which quad-core processor is in the failed laptop, and I cannot boot it up to see.

Questions:

1) I presume if I get an identically-spec'ed laptop, then Windows won't have trouble booting from the old SSD. Does it matter which quad-core processor is in the new W520? Will my existing Windows 7 installation still work? (e.g., if the original were a Core i7-2670QM, and I buy a new laptop with a Core i7-2860QM, will Windows have any kind of validation problem?)

2) Are there any configuration differences that could cause a problem with the old Windows booting on the new machine?

3) My last laptop allowed up to 32GB of memory. Do all w520 models with quad-core processors allow up to 32GB? If not, how do I know which ones do?

Any help is appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 375
Message 2 of 5

Re: Replace my w520 without reinstalling windows

I would expect it would boot with any W520.  I would flash the BIOS in the new machine with the latest version via CD before starting.  Install the drives and change the boot order.

No, but if the new machine had differences (different wireless, Bluetooth, WWAN, etc.) you might be missing drivers.

Yes.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ScruffyLG
Punch Card
Views: 367
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your response, RichK....much appreciated.

ScruffyLG
Punch Card
Views: 328
Message 4 of 5

RichK...I had a follow-up question.

I presume if the new machine had slightly different accessory hardware, such as a different model wifi card, I could load the new drivers after booting.

But what if the new machine has a i7-2920XM processor. Would this work? My understanding is that this has a different processor socket from the other quad-core processors for this model. Would it even be able to boot using the drivers from an SSD taken from a machine having a different socketed processor?

Would it be a problem if the new laptop had a 2000M, while the SSD was configured for a 1000M?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 313
Message 5 of 5

You could load wifi after booting.  i7-2920XM has the same socket and will work fine, but it is a 55W processor, so it will run hotter.  You would need to use the fan assembly from the machine that had the 55W processor initially.  2000M is OK

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors