Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ke
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 6 (3,002 Views)

Replacement TrackPoint cap?

[ Edited ]

After just a few months of usage, my W510's TrackPoint cap came loose. I ordered a three-part TrackPoint cap collection on eBay. Alas, the caps don't fit.

No surprise if you look at this photo of a non-W-series keyboard with the cap removed. The TrackPoint post in my W-series ThinkPad is yellow rather than black and significantly smaller:

Link to picture

Also, the W-series is prominently absent from the list of supported models in Lenovo's specs of the replacement caps.

Anyone know if replacement caps for the W-series are available?

Also, how would I attach the cap? Just pushing it back didn't really do it for my original cap, it kept coming loose.

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 2 of 6 (2,928 Views)

Re: Replacement TrackPoint cap?

some of the cap collection on ebay is fake. The W510 uses the same keyboard as mine T400s, and the real Lenovo trackpoint from T60 fits the T400s keyboard perfectly.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
Message 3 of 6 (2,461 Views)

Sorry to ressurect but how do you know if a trackpoint is fake or not?

Message 4 of 6 (2,423 Views)

it is hard to say, there are quite a lot on the market that varies in quality. Some are quite good, and you would only know it is a fake after couple of months of use, where they start falling apart and wear out at an accelerated rate.
Regards,

Jin Li

Punch Card
Message 5 of 6 (2,397 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here is how to tell if a cap is fake or not:

I just got a set of 3 replacement TrackPoint caps, each is of the different kind. I also have my original Soft Dome. They were ordered from eBay.

Out of the three, I immediately noticed the soft dome is fake. How do I know? Because I have my original soft dome as I mentioned earlier. The fake is a darker shade of red and is slightly more slippery. The edges are rougher, a sign that production isn't as good. Lastly, all original trackpoint caps have the letter "I" if you flip them upside down. The fake one didn't.

Oddly enough the other two caps he provided are genuine. They look good, have the proper shade of red, and have the imprinted "I" on the flip side. So that is odd. They came in the same package (a little baggy that says Made in Japan with some numbers on it).

Message 6 of 6 (2,374 Views)

well they probably mix and match the caps, to provide you with the sense that they are the real mccoy.
Regards,

Jin Li

Top kudoed Authors