Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mxf
What's DOS?
Views: 1,411
Message 1 of 8

Rescue &Recovery Win 8

I have a w530 w/windows 8. Is Rescue & recovery available on this OS? If so, where do I find it?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,403
Message 2 of 8

Re: Rescue &Recovery Win 8

Hello and welcome,

There isn't a Rescue and Recovery for Windows 8 machines.  The native Windows tools are used for recovery and backup/restore.

Methodology to create Recovery Media and reload a Lenovo system with Microsoft Windows 8 preload

Use the rather oddly named "Windows 7 File Recovery" tools for full drive backup and recovery.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Mxf
What's DOS?
Views: 1,373
Message 3 of 8

That's not exactly a solution. So....if R&R isn't available on Win 8, what incremental backup software is best?

Guru
Views: 1,361
Message 4 of 8

I've used Norton Ghost 15.1 for incremental backup  and cold imaging under Windows 7. However, it currently does not run "hot backup" under Windows 8. This is being fixed in the next release. Acronis True Image 2013 does support Windows 8 in the manner you would need.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/#overview

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.15 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 32GB, RTX5000, 32GB, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
rhkohl
Paper Tape
Views: 1,026
Message 5 of 8

Per the 12-09-2012 response of zoltanthegypsy, with a W530 and Win 8 there was NO way known at that time to generate and then, if needed, recover the image of the main hard drive as it existed at any one time.   That is, as I understand that response, if your main drive failed completely then, per that response, you could only recover the preload image onto your new main hard drive.

Since then, Greg Schultz, at TechRepublic, seems to have outlined a method to generate a system image of your main hard drive and then recover your entire system, as of that image, in the event of a main hard drive failure:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/restore-windows-8-with-system-image-recovery/7464

using

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/create-a-recovery-drive-in-windows-8/7261 .

Could someone just setting up a W530 with Win 8 (so they cannot lose anything of value), (1) add a dummy program and some files before adding anything else useful, and then (3) try out the above [once (2) using

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT076024

so they will be certain to be able to recover the Win 8 preload], and then report back to this thread?

It would be very nice for Lenovo's potential customers if Lenovo would generate a Rescue & Recovery for the W530 with Win 8 that would save a system image.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 998
Message 6 of 8

@rhkohl wrote:

Per the 12-09-2012 response of zoltanthegypsy, with a W530 and Win 8 there was NO way known at that time to generate and then, if needed, recover the image of the main hard drive as it existed at any one time.

Well, no.  For the record, I did suggeest using Windows 7 file recovery to make full drive images.  That's the same tool used in the articles you've linked.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 970
Message 7 of 8

@rhkohl wrote:

Per the 12-09-2012 response of zoltanthegypsy, with a W530 and Win 8 there was NO way known at that time to generate and then, if needed, recover the image of the main hard drive as it existed at any one time.   That is, as I understand that response, if your main drive failed completely then, per that response, you could only recover the preload image onto your new main hard drive.

======================================================================================

Uh, yes there is.  Acronis True Image Home 2013 will backup my drive and let me restore it with ease.  I can create the backup while Windows 8 is running, or use the offline Acronis rescue/recovery disk.

rhkohl
Paper Tape
Views: 951
Message 8 of 8

My apologies for not picking up on the existing solutions.

The good news for the thread is there are two ways, well-spelled out, to get, store and restore disk images with the W530 with Win8 despite there being no RnR for that configuration, and one can choose to use the cloud or not.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors