Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frankw
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,150
Message 1 of 2

Rescue and Recovery Partition doesn't work

Hi all, recently I decided to reformat my laptop and found that the rescue and recovery process that came with the laptop doesn't seem to work and when I called technical support, they said it would cost money to send me the recovery CDs. 

I am wondering, before I pay, if this is common practice? 

Thanks for your time, 

lite1
Serial Port
Views: 1,087
Message 2 of 2

My opinion - they should provide it free

I don'tr know what is "normal" but charging for the media seems like an extremely poor choice on the part of Lenovo AND in my opinion it should always be sent out with a new computer.  That is what I had experienced in the many years that I bought Dell laptops - just recently bought my first ThinkPad (W510) and am in general quite pleased with it.

I just had an entirely different issue with Lenovo (they gave me inaccurate and misleading information about th build and then based on my purchase decision on that).  As part of my negotiation with them for fairness and to keep me as a relatively satisfied customer one of the things that I got was the recovery media at no charge - I am in USA.

Since you voluntarily chose to reformat your computer it perhaps a slightly different situation, but unless you did something "wrong" the recovery partition "shaould have" worked for you as part of that process.  Unfortunately, as I understand from this forum and elsewhere the partition does not always work and that is why most recommend burning your own media or to have it from the mfg.  It is more than an annoyance that Lenovo and others no longer spend the few dollars in their cost to provide this, and I would recommend politely complaining especially if you can point to documented cases where your model has failed and a different person tried to use the recovery partition and the latter did not work.

Seemingly you are without your machine; have relied on Lenovo; and they have let you down.  Now charging you for media I find a bit insulting.  I work for a small mail order company, we try to have satisfied customers, but don't believe that the customer is always right.  In your case I'd certainly expect that the gracious thing for Lenovo to do is get media to you immediately at no cost.

If Lenovo continues with their no media approach, it would be smart for them as you are purchasing to indicate:

We recommend that you purchase now for $ ($CDN) the Windows 7 media as in case of disaster you will need.

While there is a recovery hidden partition that should do the same thing it is known not to always work.

Alternatively you can burn the media yourself and here is a link of how to do that for your particular machine ______.

WIthout the above kind of disclosure, Lenovo is just beggin to create unsatisfied customers and to be begging for unhappy forum posts like the present one.

Good luck ... Edward

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors