Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christopherduff
Paper Tape
Views: 12,703
Message 1 of 8

Reset bottom cover tamper detection

I have a W540 I recently had open to inspect memory and SSD. I'm now getting the bottom cover tamper detection message on boot.

How can I reset this but keep the tamper detection active?

I have full BIOS access. I can disable it by fully disabling tamper detection in the BIOS or removing the Supervisor password. However when I reenable these the tamper message at boot comes back.

I basically want to let the system know that the detected tamper was authorised but to keep detecting for future tampering.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,677
Message 2 of 8

Re: Reset bottom cover tamper detection

I don't have a machine here with tamper detection enabled to test, but what I remember is that you just hit F9 to reset defaults (after making a note of any settings that need to be changed back).

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Former Employee
Views: 12,643
Message 3 of 8

Christopherduff,

Have you tried reseating both cover doors? Here is a picture of the larger cover door:

W540 HMM Tamper Switch Pic.jpg

Under it is a tamper switch that should depress when the cover is firmly seated. There is also a small tamper switch under the smaller cover door shown in this picture:

W540 Tamper Switch Small.png

The tamper switch is documented in the Hardware Maintenance Manual on page 66: 

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t540p_w540_w541_hmm_en_sp40a26003_03.pdf

Thank you,

christopherduff
Paper Tape
Views: 12,568
Message 4 of 8

I've tried reseating both cover doors. I've also tried disabling/reenabling the tamper detection and supervisor password in the BIOS. However the tamper message keeps appearing on boot.

Does this therefore suggest that the tamper detection hardware has become defective? Or is there some other process I should follow to reset it?

Former Employee
Views: 12,552
Message 5 of 8

Christopherduff,

Given that you have tried a number of troubleshooting steps to resolve the tamper switch error but have been unable to resolve it, the next step may be to contact Lenovo Service for support under warranty.

You can reach Lenovo Service here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/contactus

Thank you,

christopherduff
Paper Tape
Views: 12,540
Message 6 of 8

Unfortunately the warranty on my laptop only just expired April 29th 2016 Smiley Sad
Former Employee
Views: 12,535
Message 7 of 8

I am sorry to hear that your warranty has expired.

Just to follow up: did you locate the tamper switch and find a way to keep it depressed? Here is a post from a customer facing a similar issue with his Yoga 14: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Lenovo-Thinkpad-Yoga-14-Won-t-Turn-On/m...

Thank you,

christopherduff
Paper Tape
Views: 11,960
Message 8 of 8

Hi Amy, just thought I should let you know that in the end, given the age of the laptop and given that it's out of warranty, I just decided to leave the tamper detection feature disabled in the BIOS. I couldn't get it working properly again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors