Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zevrubenstein
Paper Tape
Views: 252
Message 1 of 1

SOLVED: No LAN (wired Ethernet) after clean install of Win7

I did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro on a W541, and to make life easy I used DoubleDrive software (http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/double_driver.html) to capture all of the device drivers prior to the clean install. That included the Ethernet driver, Ethernet Connection I217-LM.

Since then, I can't get the unit to recognize a wired ethernet connection, whether in the Ultra Dock or directly connected to the unit. I've tried more than one live connection that I know work.

The Device Manager shows that it's working properly, I asked it to find a newer driver and it says I've got the latest driver. I then used the Lenovo System Update utility, which didn't find any new drivers.

I downloaded and installed Access Connections, and on the surface it didn't recognize the presence of a wired connection, since it always connected wireless AND didn't display a wired option in the "Connect to the Internet" map.

ANSWER

Fortunately, I found this post by Mark_Lenovo from 2011. The key piece is:

If you are using Access Connections, ensure you have installed the latest version and that you have created a connection profile. Go in the tab Location Profiles in advanced mode and create a profile for your LAN connection.

Ensure the wired profile is elevated to a higher precidence than wireless.

That solved the issue for me! Once you click on "Create...", just uncheck the wireless adapter, make sure the Ethernet adapter is checked and change "2. Type of network connection" from "Best Available Network" to "Wired LAN (Ethernet)".  That will force the system to use the LAN connection.

I spent hours trying to track this down, and hope this will help others in the future.

-- Zev

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors