cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nechavarria
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,837
Message 1 of 12

SSD "adapter/spacer" missing in ThinkPad 9.5mm SATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter IV for W540

Hello guys!

We are trying to install a Crucial m500 960Gb SSD into the hard drive bay adapter for the w540.
While the drive fits, once it's connected is not snug and kind of "rattles" inside the bay adapter.
It turns out that you need one of this little adapter/spacers that are present in the actual main SSD that came with the machine.

We've searched everywhere for the part number or even it's name, with no luck.

Here's the picture of the part:

Link to image

How can we get one?

Shouldn't this part be included in the Hard Drive Bay Adapter IV?

Thanks so much for your help!

Nicolas E.

Moderator note: images totalling more than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

nechavarria
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,737
Message 2 of 12

Re: SSD "adapter/spacer" missing in ThinkPad 9.5mm SATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter IV for W540

No one has ever wanted to install a Crucial m500 SSD in the Hard Drive Bay Adapter?
LocalStorage0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,721
Message 3 of 12

Re: SSD "adapter/spacer" missing in ThinkPad 9.5mm SATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter IV for W540

I'm using the same drive (m500-960GB) and did not get a spacer.  I just took some non-conductive / ant-static tape and secured the drive.  Doesn't make any noise and seems to stay in place.

nechavarria
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,718
Message 4 of 12

Thanks LocalStorage0!

However this solution is not optimal/elegant for this type of machine and even more so if you are delivering this to a customer...  Lenovo should provide the adequate spacer/bracket to install third party drives, free or for charge but the part number should exist.

I called tech support and the part-number does not exist, the afforementioned bracket only comes if you buy a Lenovo HD/SSD....

A real solution is needed...

Thanks again!!

LocalStorage0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,706
Message 5 of 12

Agreed.  Maybe someone who configured a dual SSD configuration could check to see how the second hard drive is mounted?  I'm confortable with using non-static tape since I know the drive isn't going anywhere.  However, it doesn't screem build quality to a customer.

saboot
Paper Tape
Views: 2,014
Message 6 of 12

Apparently the part number is 04x5421 according to a review on the adapter page (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/0B47315/460#Reviews)

I completely agree that this is so incredibly frustrating. I called the tech support and parts ordering and no one had any idea what I was talking about and repeated that I must have purchased the wrong size hard drive (not the case).

I haven't heard anything official from Lenovo/Thinkpad, your customers have been using external drives for years why did you mess this all up now!?

Either include the simple rubber part or let us order one!

SaganAndroid
Serial Port
Views: 1,080
Message 7 of 12

Saboot, can you repost that URL? It seems not to work. I removed the trailing ) but that didn't make it work.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,072
Message 8 of 12

@SaganAndroid wrote:

Saboot, can you repost that URL? It seems not to work. I removed the trailing ) but that didn't make it work.

Try this Link:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/0B47315/460#

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

SaganAndroid
Serial Port
Views: 1,057
Message 9 of 12

When I click that, it shows the bay adapter, not the spacer.

SaganAndroid
Serial Port
Views: 350
Message 10 of 12

That link does not work Dragnoak.
Top Kudoed Authors