Did you mean: 
nickmz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,844
Message 1 of 34

Seagate software killed my Samsung SSD

Just FYI, a warning story

I bought Lenovo Thinkpad P51 and after upgrade it has 3 drives:

• Samsung MZVLW256HEHP M.2, drive that came with laptop with Windows 10 Pro, no any changes are made, just usual Windows installation for some software I need sometimes
  • Samsung 960 PRO 512GB, additional drive I bought to install Linux Ubuntu, the main drive I work with
  • Seagate FireCuda 2TB SATA 2'', additional hybrid (HDD+SSD) drive I bought to keep some files, distributions, archives, videos

So I mostly work on Ubuntu booting from additional Samsung 960 PRO.

Samsung MZVLW256HEHP that came with laptop was used for some Windows software like Lenovo Companion, Lenovo Settings, some Windows-specific software. I also installed Samsing Magician to monitor health of Samsung 960 PRO (it ignores all other drives).

It worked like a charm for a month until....

I decided to install Seagate SeaTools from official site to monitor Seagate FireCuda. As I said it has SSD cache inside so I expected to see some specific information that doesn't exist in a smartctl report.

I downloaded SeaTools from official site and installed it on Windows. Then I run SeaTools and it started to scan something (no any specific actions were made at this moment). Then Windows hanged, then it went to BSOD, then rebooted.

That was the last time I saw Samsung MZVLW256HEHP in BIOS nor anywhere else. It disappeared. BIOS started to wait 3-5 minutes on start, possibly it waited for some response from this disk. After some waiting BIOS is loading further without this disk. So I had to remove this disk physically to continue my work.

As I said I did nothing special, just installed SeaTools and while it was scanning something the Windows system and the drive crashed.

Seagate support suggested just to "remove SeaTools from apps", I answered that now I have no Windows system to remove the app from nor the drive - and they hadn't answered back.

Samsung 960 PRO is completely fine and I'm working on Ubuntu like nothing happened.

So now I'm thinking - should I ask Lenovo to replace this drive or should I buy something more recent and reliable like 960 EVO to replace this one (going to install Windows 10 Pro on it once again).

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,783
Message 2 of 34

Re: Seagate software killed my Samsung SSD

Hello,

I have run Seagate's SeaTools for Windows software on computers containing several Seagate Firecuda HDDs, a MyDigitalSSD NVMe SSD and a Samsung 840 EVO SATA SSD, and never had a problem.  This wasn't a Lenovo system, but a self-built desktop.

I cannot recall if I ever ran it on my ThinkPad P50, but I likely might have in order to diagnose isssues with a Seagate external USB HDD at some point.  My P50 contains three Samsung SSDs (two 950 PROs, one 850 EVO).  Obviously, that's not a P51, but it is similar, just being the previous generation.

You might want to try removing all batteries and drives from the ThinkPad P51, reinstall the batteries, and just the Samsung MZVLW256HEHP M.2 SSD and see if it then gets detected when installed as the only drive in the computer.

It is probably worth opening a support ticket with Lenovo, if only to notify them so they can work with Seagate to further investigate the issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
nickmz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,773
Message 3 of 34

Thank for the advice, Aryeh

Just removed the main battery, cleared CMOS by unplugging that little internal battery, loaded default BIOS settings - nothing helped. Drive MZVLW256HEHP is still not detected in BIOS.

I tried to plug another drive to this M.2 slot - the other drive works

I tried to plug MZVLW256HEHP to other M.2 slot - MZVLW256HEHP still doesn't work

So it seems both M.2 slots work, the only thing that is broken is MZVLW256HEHP

Possibly there was something work with MZVLW256HEHP even before. But coincidence is very clear - it had stopped working right at the moment when SeaTools was scanning something.

The other thing I want to note - no any special action have been made with MZVLW256HEHP by myself. Even no any `hdparm` call.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,719
Message 4 of 34

Hello,

Do you have another computer you can install the Samsung MZVLW256HEHP NVMe SSD in to for testing, just to rule out the issue being with the ThinkPad?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
nickmz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,707
Message 5 of 34

I don't have any other computer with M.2 PCIe slot but I'm pretty sure my ThinkPad P51 is perfectly okey: now it's loaded with Samsung 960 PRO 512 and Samsung 960 EVO 256. So both M.2 slots are occupied and the laptop is working flawlessly.

s3phir0th115
Punch Card
Views: 2,628
Message 6 of 34

So, I found this hard to believe, but I experienced the exact same issue you did just this past weekend. Due to Lenovo's support, I got the replacement drive today, and when I was running the same software again, the same thing happened.

Something is clearly wrong here. I'm relieved that I'm not the only one that encountered this.

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 2,600
Message 7 of 34

@s3phir0th115 wrote:

So, I found this hard to believe, but I experienced the exact same issue you did just this past weekend. Due to Lenovo's support, I got the replacement drive today, and when I was running the same software again, the same thing happened.

Something is clearly wrong here. I'm relieved that I'm not the only one that encountered this.

That is odd i'v used seatools on many SSD's and HDD's and not have had this issue are you doing the quick tests only, or is it just the detection that breaks it?

I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, P50 4K, X1C5
s3phir0th115
Punch Card
Views: 2,595
Message 8 of 34

It never makes it to the portion to do a test, it says it's scanning for drives, and then the OS has a BSOD with the drive bricked afterward. If not bricked, it at the very least no longer boots to Windows, shows as a RAW drive if you start the Windows installer, and doesn't allow creating partitions within the Windows installer to try and reinstall Windows.

For some info, mine is a different model: X1 Carbon 5th Generation. It's also a 1TB solid state, but also Samsung and also a model name starting with MZVLW

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 2,580
Message 9 of 34

Yeah sounds like it does not understand it and the controller used in it. If you boot up something like parted magic or just Ubuntu and gparted is the partition still there but unset from active? Of does the whole drive still show raw in there?
I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, P50 4K, X1C5
s3phir0th115
Punch Card
Views: 2,578
Message 10 of 34

As a means of troubleshooting initially I booted systemrescuecd to see what it saw on the drive. According to it, the whole partition table is gone.

Additionally, I've run testdisk to see if just the partition table was wiped and it could be restored. Even it doesn't see it there to try and recover, so the damage is beyond just the partition table.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors