cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asbai
Paper Tape
Views: 2,266
Message 11 of 34

Re: Self-Encrypting PCIe-NVMe M.2 SSD Password in the BIOS of a P70??

Does lenovo have a plan to improve the compatibility of their bios? At least for lenovo shipped 512GB Samsung SM951?

rgdonnan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,237
Message 12 of 34

It's very disappointing that Lenovo has chosen to take this "closed" approach with their Mobile Workstations by not making the BIOS of the P70 universally accepting of self-encrypting SDDs in the PCIe-NVMe format. I have been a ThinkPad user for over 30 years with the W701ds as my most recent. The W701ds has no limitations that I have found within the BIOS for enabling a HDD password for virtually any self encrypting HDD/SSD on the market. It uses two Samsung 840 Pro self-encrypting SSDs at present, BIOS HDD password enabled for both. This feature is of critical importance when you consider the application of and the data that my exist upon the drives of those Mobile Workstations. Of note in the W701ds instance, OPAL 2.0 is not required if the HDD/SSD is of the self-encrypting type.

My most recent contact with Lenovo customer service indicated that the only PCIe-NVMe SSD capable of BIOS HDD password enabling is their 256GB. The 512GB and 1TB do not have this capability. Why would Lenovo limit their products in this way. I sit here as a potential purchaser with over $5,000 burning a hole in my pocket waiting for Lenovo to wake up and realize the needs of their customers.

And they wonder why business in their PC market is failing.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,231
Message 13 of 34

rgdonnan

There is not any "closed" approach.  All I am saying is that while I know how the Lenovo-qualified SSDs work, I don't know (and can't comment) on other SSDs. 

As for 256GB vs 512GB/1TB SSDs in ThinkPad P70:  Currently, only the 256GB SSD has OPAL capability which means that encryption can be activated either by setting HDD password or by installing OPAL management software.  The 512GB/1TB do not have OPAL capability as of today.  You can still set a HDD password which controls access to the SSD, but has nothing to do with encryption on these models.

You will see more models/capacities with OPAL capability in the future.

Thank you for your feedback.

rgdonnan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,226
Message 14 of 34

@someotherguy wrote:

@rgdonnan

There is not any "closed" approach.  All I am saying is that while I know how the Lenovo-qualified SSDs work, I don't know (and can't comment) on other SSDs. 

As for 256GB vs 512GB/1TB SSDs in ThinkPad P70:  Currently, only the 256GB SSD has OPAL capability which means that encryption can be activated either by setting HDD password or by installing OPAL management software.  The 512GB/1TB do not have OPAL capability as of today.  You can still set a HDD password which controls access to the SSD, but has nothing to do with encryption on these models.

You will see more models/capacities with OPAL capability in the future.

Thank you for your feedback.

Does this mean that the 512GB/1TB PCIe-NVMe SSDs presently available for the P70 are self-encrypting SSDs and a BIOS HDD password can be enabled for these drives as it can on my W701ds?

I appreciate your responses.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,206
Message 15 of 34

@rgdonnan wrote:

Does this mean that the 512GB/1TB PCIe-NVMe SSDs presently available for the P70 are self-encrypting SSDs and a BIOS HDD password can be enabled for these drives as it can on my W701ds?

For the non-OPAL SSDs (512GB and 1TB):  you can set a BIOS HDD password.  But the password has nothing to do with encryption.  The drives do not support hardware encryption.

For the OPAL SSDs (256GB):  you can set a BIOS HDD password, and this password is used to unlock the key that is used for hardware encryption.

Highlighted
asbai
Paper Tape
Views: 2,169
Message 16 of 34

So did you means: to enable the AES256 full disk strong encryptions for the NVMe disk through bios, the NVMe device MUST support OPAL? Otherwise we could only got a weak password protection?
asbai
Paper Tape
Views: 2,150
Message 17 of 34

@someotherguy could you answer my question? I'm the P50 user (and it is my fourth thinkpad), I can provide the machine SN or  invoice  if you need it to give me a answer.

Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,113
Message 18 of 34

@asbai wrote:
So did you means: to enable the AES256 full disk strong encryptions for the NVMe disk through bios, the NVMe device MUST support OPAL? Otherwise we could only got a weak password protection?

I feel like I have already answered this same question two different times previously in this thread.

If you want hardware-level encryption in SSDs that Lenovo sells, you can only get that from the SSD models that support OPAL.  I don't know how to make this any more clear.

rgdonnan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,109
Message 19 of 34

@someotherguy wrote:

@asbai wrote:

I feel like I have already answered this same question two different times previously in this thread.

If you want hardware-level encryption in SSDs that Lenovo sells, you can only get that from the SSD models that support OPAL.  I don't know how to make this any more clear.

When do you anticipate that the 512GB and 1TB PCIe-NVMe M.2 SSDs will be offered as "OPAL" compatible? The lack of this encryption compatibility is delaying my purchase of the P70.

Gateman
Token Ring
Views: 2,081
Message 20 of 34

@rgdonnan wrote:

And they wonder why business in their PC market is failing.

This is interesting.  I would like to learn more about it. Will you link me to an article about this.  I am unable to find any through Google.  Also, what other markets are Lenovo in?

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors