cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgdonnan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,242
Message 1 of 34

Self-Encrypting PCIe-NVMe M.2 SSD Password in the BIOS of a P70??

Self-encrypting SSDs such as the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 PCIe-NVMe as well as other 2.5" formats allow for a password for drive encryption to be enabled from within the BIOS. There seems to be a problem with enabling that function with the 950 Pro. Another forum member has a P70 with a 950 Pro as the boot-drive and a Samsung 850 2.5" SSD as a data-drive. When in the BIOS to enable HDD (SDD) password(s) the 850 is listed while the 950 is not. According to Samsung, the 950 Pro has "AES 256-bit for user data encryption". Has anyone been able to enable the HDD (SDD) drive-encryption password of a Samsung 950 Pro OR any of the Lenovo furnished PCIe-NVMe M.2 drives within their BIOS settings? Of note, once enabled, upon start-up the BIOS will ask for the password of each drive with a password enabled before proceeding to the OS. Lack of this capability within the P70 for a PCIe-NVMe M.2 SSD in the 512GB capacity range is a deal-breaker for the P70 that I would like to order.

Any thoughts or suggestions pertaining to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

ThinkFollower
Punch Card
Views: 11,231
Message 2 of 34

Re: Self-Encrypting PCIe-NVMe M.2 SSD Password in the BIOS of a P70??

it is about samsung 950 pro

for some reason only 256gb version supports OPAL

more info in that thread

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Thinpad-P50-Samsung-950-pro-and-password...

rgdonnan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,168
Message 3 of 34

Can anyone confirm that a self-encrypting PCIe-NVMe M.2 SSD WITH Opal is able to have its password set in the P70 BIOS and if so, is Opal the reason that the Samsung 950 won't?

Thank you.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 11,134
Message 4 of 34

With the Samsung SM951 NVMe/OPAL SSD that Lenovo ships with P70, it is possible to set a HDD password in BIOS Setup.  I can't comment on Samsung 950 Pro because Lenovo doesn't ship that.

Possible reasons why HDD password option is missing in BIOS:

1. The drive doesn't support ATA security
  2. The drive has the OPAL (or eDrive) feature enabled and activated

Have you tried running Samsung Magician?  Look in the Data Security tab (under "Advanced Feature") and check what security modes are available/enabled for your drive.

ThinkFollower
Punch Card
Views: 11,129
Message 5 of 34

but even with the Samsung SM951 NVMe only the 256gb version have at this time encryption feature [OPAL]

with the samsung 950 pro is the same

the 256gb version have the ability to set the on-pass

only the 512gb version at that moment do not have this feature operational

but if You try to set bitlocker it uses the hardware encryption biult in samsung 950 pro 

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 11,077
Message 6 of 34

@ThinkFollower wrote:

if You try to set bitlocker it uses the hardware encryption biult in samsung 950 pro 

I don't think Bitlocker can do that, if the drive isn't eDrive friendly (which 950 isn't at the moment, until the promised firmware update).

Not that using CPU for encryption makes any noticeable difference performance wise on modern quad core CPUs. 

asbai
Paper Tape
Views: 10,684
Message 7 of 34

I'm also want to know it: does thinkpad p50 need to use OPAL to implement a bootup password for a NVMe HDD?

When you setup the 256GB NVMe bootup password, does the bios showing  you something like "OPAL 2.0" on the screen?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 10,655
Message 8 of 34

@asbai wrote:

I'm also want to know it: does thinkpad p50 need to use OPAL to implement a bootup password for a NVMe HDD?

No, you can set a BIOS password and get the exact same encryption as if you use OPAL management software.

asbai wrote:

When you setup the 256GB NVMe bootup password, does the bios showing  you something like "OPAL 2.0" on the screen?

No, it shows you a screen to enter the HDD password, but it doesn't say anything about OPAL on this screen.

asbai
Paper Tape
Views: 10,624
Message 9 of 34

From samsung, OPAL and eDrive not supportted by 950pro yet (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/downloads/document/Samsung_SSD_950... But class 0 bios hdd password has been supportted by 950 pro now.

If the bios don't need OPAL for a NVMe hdd password, we should see it anyway (for both 256GB and 512GB disks). But we can't see it on 512GB version now ? :-(

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 10,617
Message 10 of 34

Sorry, I should have clarified that all my comments are about the SSDs that Lenovo ships.  Lenovo has a spec about how our SSDs should work, and our suppliers are required to adhere to it (and we test for it).  If you are buying a SSD from somewhere else and installing it yourself, I have no idea how it works.  You'll have to ask your supplier about that.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors