cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blgaarder
Paper Tape
Views: 3,924
Message 21 of 34

Re: Self-Encrypting PCIe-NVMe M.2 SSD Password in the BIOS of a P70??

I just received my P50 yesterday.

The Lenovo Solutions hardware scan shows the 256GB OPAL SSD that was ordered as a Samsung MZVPV256.

I can't find anything on the web, even the Samsung site, that says that OPAL is included on that model.

Where can I find something on the Lenovo site that will show the details of what the DDS drive is, with model and specifics, such as OPAL capability?

I will try Samsung SSD Magician tonight to see what it says.

I understand that the hard drive password would be used to encrypt the encryption key on the drive IF TCG management software is not used.

I am used to that on my Hitachi self-encrypting drive in my T60.

Does Lenovo have TCG management software?  If not, where do I find it?

If I use TCG management software, does that avoid the issue mentioned in the forum about not being able to use a drive that was password protected on another system, if that other system also has TCG software?

Thanks

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,907
Message 22 of 34

I don't own an SM951 (OEM, from Lenovo).  I bought a retail 950 Pro and installed it myself.

But I don't believe the OEM SM951 is supported by Samsung Magician.  Someone else who actually has this hardware (purchased from Lenovo) should confirm (or refute my statement), but I believe its not recognized as the retail products (e.g. 950 Pro) are.

"The SM951 is sold as a bare drive, sans accessories and software. It's not supported by the SSD Magician utility Samsung provides for its consumer-oriented SSD, but third-party tools can still read the SMART data."

blgaarder
Paper Tape
Views: 3,894
Message 23 of 34

The SM951 was recognized by Magician, but it just provided basic info.

Apparently, the full model is MZVPV256HDGL-000L7

I have seen MZVPV256HDGL on Amazon, but it mentions nothing about OPAL.

Thanks for the response.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,869
Message 24 of 34

The drive "MZVPV256HDGL-000L7" supports OPAL.

There are several tools that can show this.

The one I used here is the Intel SSD Pro Administrator tool.  This tool also requires to use Intel's NVMe driver.  The output is shown below:

nvme_opal.jpg

As an OPAL drive, it is always encrypting.  To secure the encryption key, you can either set a HDD password in BIOS, or else use OPAL management software such as WinMagic SecureDoc.  As far as I know, WinMagic is the only company that has OPAL management software for NVMe SSD, as of today.

blgaarder
Paper Tape
Views: 3,859
Message 25 of 34

Thanks for the info, someotherguy.

I checked WinMagic, but it appears that SecureDoc is an enterprise solution, not for single PCs.

I'll try loading the Intel tool on my system.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,858
Message 26 of 34

To be clear, the Intel tool that I referenced does not manage OPAL encryption, it is just a tool to show the capability of the drive in the system...

For single PC my recommendation is to simply set a HDD password in BIOS.  Although WinMagic does have a stand-alone version if you really want to go that route...

https://www.winmagic.com/estore/securedoc-for-windows

hubick
Punch Card
Views: 3,608
Message 27 of 34

Hi, I stumbled across this thread while looking for an AHCI based PCIe drive with hardware SED/encryption support, since my Intel NUC (Skull Canyon, NUC6i7KYK) doesn't support setting passwords on an NVMe drive. The SM951 seems to be the only AHCI+PCIe game in town, but the few sellers I see specify that it does *not* support encryption. I had assumed the P50/70 encryption suffered the same BIOS NVMe password limitation, and that you were probably shipping the AHCI version of the SM951 (MZ-HPV*), but you're saying Lenovo has some magical (custom?) "MZVPV256HDGL-000L7" SM951 *with* encryption support and the MZ-VPV* implies NVMe, and Lenovo's BIOS *does* supports setting a password on that?
MikeEckler
What's DOS?
Views: 3,469
Message 28 of 34

So has anybody figured this out?

I have.  Samsung listed this drive, 950 PRO M.2 NVMe 512GB, as having support for OPAL and eDrive, but guess what, it doesn't, they just said that it WILL have support for it in a future firmware update.

That was over a year ago!  This is a piss off, because people who normally purchase these drives get them for their encryption capabilities!

Looks like this isn't on Lenovo.  The Lenovo rep' was responding with the typical "If it's not sold by us I don't know." instead of taking a look at the product and helping everyone out.

You can see this information for yourselves on any Samsung product page, Canada, US, UK, in the product description.

It's also explained more clearly here: http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-ssd-950-pro-512gb-nvme-pcie-ssd-review_174096

zekeblue
Token Ring
Views: 3,457
Message 29 of 34

I'm not holding my breath given this:

ThinkPad-P50-Samsung-950-Pro-512G-how-to-remove-disk...

. . . . . Zeke . . . . . X1 Carbon G6 - Win10 (current), P50 - Win10 (2 yrs), T510 - Win7 (previous 6 yrs)
dun9
What's DOS?
Views: 3,264
Message 30 of 34

Hi, just to reply my findings from Lenovo P50 with SM961 1TB (SAMSUNG MZSLW1T0HMLH-000L1).

So there is currently no way to get firmware that supports hardware encryption through Opal 2.0 and bitlocker in Windows 10?

============================================================================
Intel(R) SSD Pro Administrator Tool
Version: 1.1.3
Copyright (c) 2014 Intel Corporation
DO NOT FORWARD OR REUSE WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION
============================================================================

Drive List

---------------------------------------------------
| Drive Index:      | 0                           |
---------------------------------------------------
| Drive Series:     |                             |
| Model Number:     | (SAMSUNG MZSLW1T0HMLH-000L1 |