Options

15 Posts

01-09-2011

RU

27 Signins

284 Page Views

• Views: 284
  • Message 1 of 8

So, I just bought a P53 workstation... Where do I start?

2019-12-25, 11:37 AM

So, basically, it. I just bought a new P53 notebook and want to find out what is the best way to set it up and upgrade.

Specifically, 1) where do I learn everything as far as UEFI options are concerned?

2) How do I set the machine up for video editing (Adobe Premier pro)

3) I bought some memory expansion and am looking for another SSD to make it a 'scratch' disk for video editing. What are my options? Must it be an NVMe  or SATA SSD? I have looked around in the UEFI and didn't find any M.2 slot configuration option as per the model user manual...The only option under Configuration - Storage was that for the Controller to be aither AHCI or RAID... NVMe Disks 0,1 and 2 are only mentioned in the boot sequence...

4) Will I have to re-install Windows and drivers once a couple of new memory stick and SSD has been mounted on-board? 

What is the best forum / community / resource to become a part of given that my primary goal for this machine is video editing?

Thanks everyone in advance and Merry Christmas!

Solved! See the solution
Options

10381 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39200 Signins

404697 Page Views

• Views: 404697
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: So, I just bought a P53 workstation... Where do I start?

2019-12-26, 1:15 AM

1 & 2 I suggest just starting with the default UEFI options.  The machine is designed to do things like you want to do.  

3  If you put the memory into a slot, it will be sensed and configured automatically.  As far as a 2nd SSD, there are one or more slots depending on what graphics chip you bought.  There may be a 2.5" bay also.  RTX graphics chip models allow three 2280-format NVMe disks.  Others have two 2280-format NVMe disks and a place for a 2.5" drive, but you need a cable.  I am not sure how to get the cable separately if the machine didn't come with that size of a disk.

4 No  The first boot after the config change will take a long time while things are dynamically configured.  Maybe 3 full minutes or more.  I turn it on and go make a cup of coffee.

Since I am a moderator on this board, I think it is the best place.  :) 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

15 Posts

01-09-2011

RU

27 Signins

284 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2019-12-26, 17:24 PM

Thanks, Rich, will go on here, then...

Could you also kindly unriddle the following for me?

1. My MTM is 20QN004WRT. It has a memory stick of 8 GB installed, I presume, right under the cover, next to the built-in battery (?) Is this the DIMM 1 slot? 

2. I want 16GB/32GB (haven't decided yet, there are rumnors out there that, unlike SSDs, DDR4 modules will be MORE expensive in a year as DDR5 life cycle kicks in) in dual channel. Where does the second 8GB/16GB memory plank go?

3. In both PartsExport_Serial-XXXXXXXX.xlsx and PartsExport_Compatible-20qn.xlsx memory modules are listed as CRUs Mandatory. Is that right?

4. However, upon instructions as per the hardware manual (tp_p53_hmm_v3_en.pdf), ANY memory module (even the back cover) is a MAJOR FRU . Is that right, and, if so, will I loose the warranty if replace / augment the machine RAM myself?

Thanks in advance

Options

10381 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39200 Signins

404697 Page Views

• Views: 404697
  • Message 4 of 8

2019-12-26, 23:39 PM

I believe the memory is dynamically configured so wherever you put it, a 2nd stick will run dual-channel if it is the same size as the original.  Warranty rules are different in different countries.  I am in U.S. and here, if you change or add or remove memory it dies not affect warranties.  If you break something taking it apart, the damage you do is not covered.  You need to asl locally.  There is a Russian language forum on this board.  I would post a separate topic there.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

2329 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10650 Signins

56856 Page Views

• Views: 56856
  • Message 5 of 8

2019-12-27, 17:27 PM

wrote:

1. My MTM is 20QN004WRT. It has a memory stick of 8 GB installed, I presume, right under the cover, next to the built-in battery (?) Is this the DIMM 1 slot?

I have no firsthand experience with the P53, so this is strictly going by past experience with the P5x/P7x family of Thinkpads. I have a P70.

There are FOUR memory sockets, two pairs of two.  The pair of memory sockets under the keyboard are numbered #1/#3 and the second pair of memory sockets on the underside of the laptop (under the bottom cover) are numbered #2/#4.  Ideally each pair of sockets works together for optimal dual-channel mode, but you can install memory sticks of any size you want in any of the four sockets you want and the BIOS will figure it all out, just possibly running that memory in slightly slower single-channel mode.

Ideally you populate #1/#3 with arbitrary but identical size/speed/timing memory, and you then populate #2/#4 with a second arbitrary size but with identical speed/timing memory.  The second pair of memory sticks can be a different size than the first pair but should be the same speed as the first pair.  Again ideally you want to install either one or two "matched pairs" of memory sticks in the one or two pairs of DIMM sockets, in order to achieve "dual-channel mode" performance from the overall memory system of the machine.

The factory installs the first and second sticks of memory you purchase in the harder-to-access pair of DIMM sockets that are UNDER THE KEYBOARD.  If you bought only one stick (as you did with your single 8GB stick) it will be in one of these two sockets UNDER THE KEYBOARD.  So ideally if you want to add additional memory in your 1-stick current machine it should be match the factory stick in size/speed/timing and be installed in the second socket under the keybaord, to complete the "matched pair".  It's harder to get to these under-the-keyboard DIMM sockets, but that's where they're located and that's where the factory places the first and second sticks you buy from them. Actually for convenience I like to recommend just buying TWO factory sticks of memory from Lenovo (even though it might be slightly more expensive than after-market memory), just to avoid having to deal with the somewhat more difficult task of adding your own second stick under the keyboard.  Then you now still have the easy-to-get-to under-the laptop second pair of memory sockets to add whatever additional memory you care to add later.

If you purchased a third and possibly fourth stick of factory memory from Lenovo (which you didn't), one/both of them would be installed in the easy-to-get-to second pair of DIMM sockets on the underside of the laptop right under the cover. You can use these for your own after-market memory additions as well, but again ideally you should install a "matched pair" into both sockets for dual-channel performance.  But there's no problem filling just one of these with any size memory you want, except that you will simply get single-channel performance.

As I said previously, you don't have to add your own second stick of memory under the keyboard if you don't want to. You can use the easier to get to under-the-laptop slots as well and the machine will figure it all out and use the full capacity of your total memory, however you place it. Just be advised that unmatched odd sticks of memory may result in single-channel mode performance.

And if you do mix memory sticks of different speeds and timings (not really advisable) there is no advantage, since the BIOS will just SLOW DOWN ALL FASTER individual sticks to ALL run at the speed of the SLOWEST individual stick(s) you have, whichever that is and whatever its speed/timings.

Options

15 Posts

01-09-2011

RU

27 Signins

284 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2019-12-27, 17:31 PM

wrote:

...There is a Russian language forum on this board.  I would post a separate topic there.

Thanks, Rich, will do as you instructed

Options

15 Posts

01-09-2011

RU

27 Signins

284 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2019-12-27, 18:21 PM

wrote:

1) There are FOUR memory sockets, two pairs of two.  The pair of memory sockets under the keyboard are numbered #1/#3 and the second pair of memory sockets on the underside of the laptop (under the bottom cover) are numbered #2/#4. 

2) Ideally you populate #1/#3 with arbitrary but identical size/speed/timing memory, and you then populate #2/#4 with a second arbitrary size but with identical speed/timing memory....

3) The factory installs the first and second sticks of memory you purchase in the harder-to-access pair of DIMM sockets that are UNDER THE KEYBOARD.  If you bought only one stick (as you did with your single 8GB stick) it will be in one of these two sockets UNDER THE KEYBOARD...

Good info, D, appreciate it very much.

Now, If I may, 

1) Did you obtain that slot enumeration info by your own experience or was it clearly stated in some Lenovo documentation? I have been perusing manuals and such for a couple of days now to no avail...

2) Thats exactly what I want to accomplish: a pair of 16 GB memory sticks to populate slots #1/#3 , just couldn't locate those 

3) That is interesting in that it contradicts what the P53 Hardware Maintenance Manual states on page 77, where removal steps of the memory module under the bottom cover are given: 

"If your computer is installed with only one memory module, ensure that the memory module is installed into the memory slot next to the built-in battery"

Might they have changed the arrangement? At least, it's good to know that the closest to the built-in battery memory slot must be number 1, then ...

Again, thanks a lot for the info

Options

2329 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10650 Signins

56856 Page Views

• Views: 56856
  • Message 8 of 8

2019-12-27, 18:50 PM

As I mentioned, I don't have actual firsthand experience with one of this family of Thinkpads since my own P70 back in 2016.  So it's possible they decided to reverse things and start installing the first/second sticks of factory memory in the easier-to-get to under-the-laptop pair of sockets, rather than the harder-to-get-to under-the-keyboard location.  Of course even if they do that now, if you only buy 1/2 sticks from them then you still need to get under the keyboard yourself if you want to use them (assuming you don't buy 3rd/4th sticks from Lenovo so that they do the tougher install) if/when you want to add 3rd/4th stick yourself.

I would have guessed they would have still started the harder installs at the factory under the keyboard as they used to do.  But who knows?

As far as the slot numbers, this was simply based on what my single-stick 8GB (like your P53) P70 showed up as back in 2016.  I ended up learning how to remove the keyboard in order to expose the memory slots, and then added my own second 8GB into the open slot.  Using CPUZ to investigate before/after was how I discovered these were #1/#3.  I forget which number one was "on top" in a somewhat deeper socket bay as actually one laid down over the other, unlike the under-the-cover ones which were both flat and side-by-side in shallower socket bays, but for sure they show as #1/#3.  After installing the second 8GB card I reinstalled the keyboard and closed things up per the HMM, confirming with CPUZ that I was operating in dual-channel mode.

My other two unsused P70 sockets definitely show in CPUZ as #2/#4.

For sure you should still have as your objective to add your second 8GB in whichever second socket pairs with wherever the factory put their first 8GB.  I guess if you've taken the underside cover off and discovered the first 8GB of memory right there, then great. It will be very easy to add your own second 8GB right next to it.  And that will give you the optimal 16GB operating in dual-channel mode result.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save