Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DuckinMendota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 846
Message 1 of 7

Some Annoying Issues of My New Thinkpad P1

Hey Friends,

My P1 came in three days ago. The laptop is fantastic. However I noticed my top lid corners make a creaking sound when open or adjust the screen, and also a weird sizzling noise comes from the board sometimes. These seem like minor issues but really annoying. Do you guys experience the same issues? I’m thinking returning it but afraid these issues come with every device, plus it may take a really long time to go back and forth.

Thanks in advance!

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 785
Message 2 of 7

Re: Some Annoying Issues of My New Thinkpad P1

welcome to the sub, i see it says number of posts: 1.

sizzling noise, sounds like coil whine. does it happen all the time? or you can only hear it if you put your ear next t the keyboard?

on the creaking sounds, sounds like an assembly problem. hard to tell without more info, any chance you can post a video of the issue?

DuckinMendota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 750
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply. The sizzling noise only happen occasionally - mostly after the start of the windows. It is not a continuous sound and seems coming from a little left to center under the keyboard. Not very load.

I have the lid issue same as this user below:

I have a 4k screen and heard that this issue happens more often to 4k screen as it has a touch layer bonded on top of the display; but I also heard from ppl that their 4k screen doesn't have this issue.....

Mindriot
Fanfold Paper
Views: 705
Message 4 of 7

Personally, I would request a replacement unit. This is a premium machine and shouldn't have those issues. I had this machine and returned it, albeit reluctantly. My unit throttled and I don't like that the 4k touch panel is bonded to the body instead of being encased by it. Seems like it will get weaker over time and begin shifting as some users have already reported. I think I may wait for the refresh where they work some of the kinks out.

R_user
What's DOS?
Views: 306
Message 5 of 7

I would like to add that I also have a Thinkpad P1 and had the entire lower assembly replaced because of a bad motherboard, then some damage caused by an incompetent technician who pried the bottom off the computer. Both the origional and the new replacement have the sizzling, hissing, buzzing coil wine sound. The computer is otherwise reasonably nice and I have a solid 5-year warranty... I've had most of the computer replaced so far.... And I'm only 8 months into owning this thing so I assume I'm going to have the chance to replace a few more parts before my warranty is up.

spocko
SCSI Port
Views: 226
Message 6 of 7

Is your P1 gen 1 or 2? I have a P1 gen 1, and it has the exact same issues. I've had it for 6 months. Neither issue has gotten worse or caused any functional problems, so I have just gotten used to them.

R_user
What's DOS?
Views: 212
Message 7 of 7

First generation.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors