Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikemyers
SCSI Port
Views: 603
Message 1 of 27

Some thoughts and impressions on my new W530

The W530 I ordered from B&H Photovideo arrived yesterday.  I got a work area set up for it, and unboxed it this afternoon.

First impressions were very good.  It appears to be everything I hoped for.  It was very nicely packaged, and quite easy to set it up and get things going.  I was disappointed by how little written material came with it.  Maybe I missed it, but ideally I would have preferred a written copy of this file or at least a brief setup guide:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t530_t530i_w530_ug_en.pdf

It's probably on the laptop somewhere - the only disks I got were the three disks for Windows 8 installation.

Turning the system on was straight forward, and the setup questions went quickly and smoothly.  I was annoyed that the laptop encouraged me to install Norton Internet Security.  Bloatware.  At least Lenovo didn't seem to stuff the machine with other "stuff" I would need to also find and delete.  (I will install Vipre Antivirus 2013 as soon as I finish updating Windows.)

Over the past few hours, I've been installing any and all updates.  I'll keep checking for updates until I'm told there is nothing let.

I've been reading and participating in several threads here in this forum, and changed some of my plans based on what I think people are saying.  I hadn't decided yet whether to go with Windows 7 or 8, but I think I'll stick with 7.  When/if someone can assure me that *all* the drivers, etc., for Windows 8 are available, I might change, but Windows 7 is a sure thing.

I had every intention of dividing the 500 GB drive into a "system" partition and a "user" partition.  Maybe instead of that, I'll just be careful to always store "my" files in one of the "My" folders, My Documents, My Videos, etc.  If I keep this under control, it will be easier and safer for me to do my own backups, as well as the Windows Backup. 

I miss having a "Quick Start Guide".  For example, right now I'd like to turn on the keyboard backlight, and see if it actually has a light that shines down on the keyboard from above.  No big deal, I'll dig through the User Guide, but I'm used to having both.

My docking station arrives early next week, so I need to wait until then to find out if I got one of the new mother boards that doesn't have the noise-crackling problem that so many people have been talking about.

Back to work....    when the Windows Updates are finished, I'll do the Vipre Antivirus, and then create the System DVD copies. 

All in all, I am very positively impressed.  I've got a lot of learning to do, and a lot of work transferring my files, but from what I've seen so far (not much though....) it looks like an excellent machine.

Kaso
802.11n
Views: 587
Message 2 of 27

Re: Some thoughts and impressions on my new W530

Congratulations on your new W530.

You'll get over the "printed guide" need soon enough.

>>I had every intention of dividing the 500 GB drive into a "system" partition and a "user" partition. Maybe instead of that, I'll just be careful to always store "my" files in one of the "My" folders, My Documents, My Videos, etc.

I would install mSATA SSD (the slot for which is underneath the keyboard) for OS/programs and keep all "my" files separately on the (formatted) stock HDD in the main bay.

Or, I would install a SSD in the main bay for OS/programs and put the stock HDD in an UltraBay caddy adapter (to replace the stock optical drive) for "my" files.
mikemyers
SCSI Port
Views: 560
Message 3 of 27

Thanks for the information - especially that last idea!!  

I was under the impression that the installation disks that I'll be creating can only be used to re-create the condition the W530 was in when it was delivered to me.  You're implying something that sounds very logical - that I could purchase a new mSATA SSD, replace the existing system drive with it, and re-install my operating system on it?  To me, that would imply that were I to re-partition the 500 gig drive so it has a smaller "system" partition, and a larger "empty" partition, the recovery disks would place all my original files, etc., on the smaller partition.

Maybe I'm missing something, but let me try to confirm this - were I to remove the existing HDD, and install a new smaller SSD, and then try to restore my system to "as shipped" condition, which of these would happen?

a) The computer will set itself up perfectly, using the smaller SSD, or

b) The computer will give me an error message, telling me to install the corect HDD?

If the correct choice is "a", then what happens if I remove my HDD and put it away someplace safe, install another drive (HDD or SSD), and install my Windows 8 OS from the included disks?  This would be a very easy way to find out if I like working with Win-8 on the W530, without messing up my original files?

Unless I'm missing something,you've opened up a whole new world of possibilities.

Kaso
802.11n
Views: 533
Message 4 of 27

>> The computer will set itself up perfectly, using the smaller SSD

This.

>> I remove my HDD and put it away someplace safe, install another drive (HDD or SSD), and install my Windows 8 OS from the included disks? This would be a very easy way to find out if I like working with Win-8 on the W530, without messing up my original files?

And this.
mikemyers
SCSI Port
Views: 519
Message 5 of 27

Thanks, Kaso.  I was puzzled by what you wrote, so I called Lenovo an hour ago. The support tech confirmed what you told me, and explained things that I was still confused about.

I've now made my Recovery Media (one CD and 3 DVDs).  I can put any hard drive (HDD or SSD) into the laptop, and by using that media kit, the computer will format whatever drive In install (any size, any number of partitions) and recreate the original hard drive (recovery partition and system partition) in whatever size drive I installed. 

They also confirmed that I can remove the 500 GB drive that came with the laptop, put it into the original box for safe keeping, install a new drive (any size or type) and this process will work as intended.  ....which means in a year, if I thoroughy mess up the working drive, I can always install the original and be back to "like new".

My next question was Windows 8.  If I want to try out Windows 8, I can simply buy a new drive, replace the drive that is in the computer with the new one, and use the Windows-8 DVDs that came with my laptop to be up and running with Windows 8.  Again, if I don't like it, I can put the originaldrive back in, and be back to where I started.  To me, this is a very easy way to try out Windows 8 on my new laptop. 

I should mention something else I'm VERY impressed with.  Using Dell, or Sony, or Toshiba, no technician wants to talk to me until I can prove that I'm under warranty.  With Lenovo, not only do most of them seem more than willing to talk to me, but they are hardly ever in a hurry to end the call.  I have never yet been asked for my serial number, or other proof that I'm "covered".  Bottom line is I would be infinitely more likely to recommend Lenovo to my friends, than any of the competitors.

Kaso
802.11n
Views: 512
Message 6 of 27

I'm happy that you're happy.

Stretch your budget a bit more and invest in a SSD (mSATA or 2.5") for boot/OS/programs. Your W530 deserves it.
mikemyers
SCSI Port
Views: 467
Message 7 of 27

I think I will follow your suggestion.  Apparently I need to get a SATA III drive ?  I'm not sure what all the variations are, but I might as well start out with something fully up to date.

I clicked on "something" at the bottom right on the screen, and now I have a screen with 19 applications shown - Cloud Storage, Google Search, Facebook, Youtube, Wikipedia, Flickr, Gmail, Twitter, Ebay, My Lenovo Cloud (again????), Kayak, Pogo, Accuweather, PayPal, Lenovo App Shop, Skype, Google Calendar, Evernote, and Daily News.  I think the whole thing is called "Simple Tap"??????

Anybody know what this is, why it is showing up, and why I might want it?   Is it Lenovo trying to emulate Windows 8 apps?? 

OK, it all has to do with "Simple Tap", and I guess I'm looking at "Tiles" that Lenovo pre-installed.  While I'm thrilled with their providing me with a bunch of bloatware that I can have fun getting rid of, I think I'd rather be spending the time doing something else...     :-)   

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 466
Message 8 of 27

@mikemyers wrote:

OK, it all has to do with "Simple Tap", and I guess I'm looking at "Tiles" that Lenovo pre-installed.  While I'm thrilled with their providing me with a bunch of bloatware that I can have fun getting rid of, I think I'd rather be spending the time doing something else...     :-)   

Bloatware = revenue for Lenovo.

Kaso
802.11n
Views: 458
Message 9 of 27

>> Apparently I need to get a SATA III drive ?

What else on today's market of new products? Get Crucial if mSATA SSD. Get Samsung 840 Pro if 2.5" SATA.
mikemyers
SCSI Port
Views: 450
Message 10 of 27

The April 2013 issue of  "Laptop Magazine" has an article "Install an MSATA SSD", and their test machine is a Lenovo T430.  They show installing the drive into an empty PCIe slot, which presumably these laptops all have?  This is the first I've read of this - I thought the only options were to replace the existing hard drive, or to install it in the DVD bay using one of the kits for that purpose.

It's all explained here:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/triple-your-speed-how-to-install-an-msata-ssd-boot-drive-in-your-laptop

All of this sounds too good to be true.  Is there any "catch"?  I suspect there must be, or everyone would already be doing this.   :-)

Regarding the bloatware, I'm sorry if it will offend the Lenovo spy-in-the-sky or something, but all that nonsense will be deleted as soon as I figure out how to delete "tiles" or whatever they are....  I wish they just put it in the shipping box, so I could more easily toss it out.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors