Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibmthink
Bit Torrent
Views: 371
Message 11 of 27

Re: Some thoughts and impressions on my new W530

mikemyers schrieb: 

Regarding the bloatware, I'm sorry if it will offend the Lenovo spy-in-the-sky or something, but all that nonsense will be deleted as soon as I figure out how to delete "tiles" or whatever they are....  I wish they just put it in the shipping box, so I could more easily toss it out.

Thats quite simple, just right click on the tile you wnat to delete and choose from the menu "deinstall" Smiley Wink

Kaso
802.11n
Views: 361
Message 12 of 27

>> I thought the only options were to replace the existing hard drive...

Well, I did mention mSATA SSD in an earlier post, if you read carefully. The W530 (ditto T530, T430, T430s) supports up to 3 drives in 3 locations:

1. main bay -- stock HDD, replaceable by SSD

2. UltraBay caddy adapter, in lieu of the stock optical drive -- HDD or SSD

3. PCIe slot for WWAN/mSATA -- mSATA SSD.

Any of the 3 drives can be designated as boot drive.

>> Regarding the bloatware...

Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features

Uninstall the unwanted programs.
mikemyers
SCSI Port
Views: 346
Message 13 of 27

Kaso, you guys have been great, both at answering every question I've had so far, and telling me things I previously knew nothing about. 

Doing the control-panel method of removing programs I've known for ages.  On the other hand, I had no idea the W530 even had the "tiles".  I assumed that Windows 7 was the same as on my other computers.  My first thought was to trash all that stuff, but then I decided I should first figure out what is going on.  (I still can't understand why I would want to start Skype (for example) from a "tile" rather than running the program the way I always have.

Hard drives - yes, you did mention mSATA, but I must be thoroughly "out of touch", as I foolishly assumed we were all talking about an SSD.  Until last night, I had no idea what a "mSATA" is or was, and I'm probably still mangling the descriptions from a lack of understanding.  I think I understand that an "mSATA" is this tiny thing that's the shape of chewing gum, and somehow this hold all these gigs of data.  Then there's the thing that I think of as a small SATA drive, just like the solid state hard drives I've been used to for ages (but never yet purchased). 

When I bought the W530, I read several reviews, watched some videos, and thought I had a reasonably good idea of what I was getting - but to me, now that it's here, I keep finding things that were included, that I didn't expect.  Maybe I'm just in need of new glasses, but I think you are the first, and only, person who has clearly said "The W530 (ditto T530, T430, T430s) supports up to 3 drives in 3 locations:"  Whatever the reason, this was brand new information to me - so thank you! 

(For many years now, I just "settled into" my old Sony TT laptop, and spent my time and effort on photography.  I am just now setting up a SmugMug photo gallery,  with a lot of my travel photos, www.m.smugmug.com .   During that time, I've worked on a lot of computers, and read some articles, but it wasn't until the TT started to struggle on editing "raw" files, that I got serious about an upgrade.  The TT series never sold well - it was a $3000 laptop four years ago, that looked like a $300 netbook.  People were freaked by the price, and others who saw their laptop thought it was another "toy".  Anyway, after a lot of searching, I settled on the Lenovo W530, and it's turning out to be far more than what I expected!)

My friend, who is involved in the latest and greatest gaming machines, tells me that if I want to be safe with any computer, I should have more than one OS loaded, just in case something happens to the main OS.  There is always a backup.  Can I assume that I can do the same thing on the Lenovo, and if I add another drive, I can make it bootable should anything ever happen to the main drive?  Has anyone reading this actually done it?

Kaso
802.11n
Views: 339
Message 14 of 27

>> if I want to be safe with any computer, I should have more than one OS loaded, just in case something happens to the main OS

LOL. (I wear pants without belt, let alone belt + suspenders.)

The Lenovo factory recovery discs that you created (did you?) will re-image any drive to factory state.

In addition, you should maintain a regular "back up" discipline for both your personal files and your OS + programs. Acronis True Image is a great tool for this (especially for the very affordable price, which makes it a great investment).

After I set up my system (OS, programs, settings) just the way I like, I make an Acronis backup. Such a backup file can help me restore my main drive to "my initial state" (as opposed to "factory state"). Over time, you can make as many backup snapshots (for system and for personal files) as you want, on schedules that you decide for yourself.
mikemyers
SCSI Port
Views: 326
Message 15 of 27

Kaso,

I created the factory disks, so I can bring the computer back to "as new" condition.

My "back-up" system currently is to use Windows Backup, which is scheduled for early Sunday morning.  This is in addition to making a copy of my "user" files, that used to be on a separate partition, and will be again once I purchase one of these mSATA drives.

It's easy to laugh now, but I make many-month trips to various places around the world, and I've been burnt twice by the laptop I had with me having system issues, and refusing to boot.  This was on a Toshiba Satellite, running Vista.  In both cases, I eventually got the system back to life, and could continue to use it, but it was a major pain in the you-know-what.  If at all possible, I would prefer to have two function operating systems loaded, "just in case". 

(In the case of my Toshiba, it eventually got so bad I upgraded to Win 7, which helped, and then Win 8 which made it much more useable.  I then added Linux to it, but by then I had already tracked down and found a Sony TT.  I started with computers in the 1970's, and if nothing else, they have taught me to never trust them.  Nowadays I expect them to work perfectly, but I like having "insurance" in case they misbehave.   :-)    )

Kaso
802.11n
Views: 315
Message 16 of 27

If the Lenovo_Recovery partition (Q: drive) is intact, you can do a ThinkVantage "as new" recovery in-place -- well, assuming the whole main drive is not damaged somehow.

In general, multi-booting is always possible.
mikemyers
SCSI Port
Views: 296
Message 17 of 27

Kaso, just for future reference, suppose I'm overseas, and my HDD c: partition gets corrupted and I can't boot.  If I were to remove the drive, and put it in the DVD bay (using one of the kits available for this purpose) and install a new, blank "empty" drive where the main drive used to be, would the "ThinkVantage 'as new' recovery-in-place" still set up the brand new drive I just installed?

(The big difference is that the recovery partition would now be in a drive that's in the DVD bay, but it would still be just the way it came from Lenovo in every other way.)

If this did work, I would be up and running with a brand new drive in the original drive location, and all my user files would still be in place in the drive that's now in the DVD bay.    In effect, this would give me the same results as if I had a second OS.   

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 292
Message 18 of 27

@Kaso wrote:
In addition, you should maintain a regular "back up" discipline for both your personal files and your OS + programs. Acronis True Image is a great tool for this (especially for the very affordable price, which makes it a great investment).

Ditto.  I also use Acronis Truem Image Home 2013.  Works great.

In addition to this fine advice, I would also recommend keeping at least one copy of your personal data on an external hard drive. Having a duplicate of your docs, music, pics, nature videos, etc. is smart.

mikemyers
SCSI Port
Views: 277
Message 19 of 27

I know nothing about Acronis software.   I figure as long as I keep my personal files in a minimum number of locations,  I can do a manual copy of that folder as often as I wish, to as many locations as I wish, and my data is safe.  For me, this is in addition to doing a standard weekly Windows Backup.

I guess another option is to copy over c:\users\mike  to a backup drive, that will accomplish my goal, but I'll be backing up a lot of other stuff I don't care much about.  On my desktop, the "mike" folder is 11.9 gigs, and a lot of that is "stuff" that I'm not concerned about backing up.

• If all of my personal data is on a separate drive, the most likely way to lose my data is if the drive fails.
  • If all of my personal data is on the system drive, I not only have that worry, but also if the system needs to be re-loaded.

With photos stored only in one place, there is no backup.

With photos stored in two places, that means one backup.

With photos stored in three places, that means two backups.

Regarding Acronis:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411663,00.asp

For $50, it sounds like it does quite a bit, but for the reasons stated in the article, I'll pass.

Acronis apparently can do everything except make me a cup of coffee.  All I need though, is something that does a single thing very well - back up my data.  Until I find a reason to switch, I'll stick with Windows Backup.

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 274
Message 20 of 27

I don't use those features of Acronis True Image.  They aren't required.  In fact, most of my backups occur via the Backup/Recovery DVD so I don't even have to install the product.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors