Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ammarata
Paper Tape
Views: 174
Message 1 of 3

Speed Start after Hibernate

i have a ThinkPad W550s ( Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD ) 

it was faster in start (almost immediatlly ) after hibernate, but something updated and now its slower than before in start after hibrenate. 

any help and suggestions ? 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 148
Message 2 of 3

Re: Speed Start after Hibernate

The system normally is set to go to sleep first (saves current state to RAM), and then after a period of time enter hibernation (writes current state to the SSD), so are you sure that you are not measuring resuming from sleep against resuming from hibernation?

Hibernation is achieved by writing what is currently in memory on the computer to a a file on the drive called hiberfil.sys, so the more applications that are open at the time you put the system to sleep, and eventually into hibernation, the longer it will take to read it back into RAM, and although with an SSD that should be pretty quick, it is still slower than resuming from Sleep.  

SSD drives to not really suffer from fragmentation and should not be defragmented, so that is not really a factor, but lack of disk space could be.    On my Windows 10 system with 16GB of RAM, for instance, the C:\hiberfil.sys file (which is hidden unless you enable showing protected operating system files in File Explorer's options), so it is a rather large file.  

You can do the math to get an idea of how long it should take to read the hiberfil.sys file by resolving the equation    hiberfil.sys size in MB / MB/second read performance of your SSD.    Which if using the size of my hiberfil.sys file (6675MB), and assuming a sequential read time of 500MB/s, reading the entire hiberfil.sys file woulds take roughly 13 seconds on a good day.     

You can use the steps below to disable and re-enable hibernation, which will delete the current hiberfil.sys file and create a fresh new one, and see if that improves your hibernation performance.

How to Disable, and re-enable Hibernation

• Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt(Admin)   (or PowerShell(Admin) if on Windows 10 Creators Edition)
  • At the prompt, type:   powercfg /h off and press Enter, which will disable hibernation and delete the current hiberfil.sys
  • Once the cursor returns, type:  powercfg /h on  and press Enter, to re-enable hibernation and create a new hiberfil.sys file.

If desired, you could disable hibernation all together and the system will just got to sleep (write the memory state to RAM, but it is not recommended on laptops because if power is lost, all data in RAM will be lost too.   On desktops it is not quite as critical, but still not a bad idea if you leave unsaved data open should there be a power outage.

Cheers,

ammarata
Paper Tape
Views: 144
Message 3 of 3

Re: Speed Start after Hibernate

thanks for help ...
i measure the difference with hibernate in both cases.

i disable / enable the hibernate with same results, nothing changed.

cheers,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors