cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DougDodge
Paper Tape
Views: 173
Message 1 of 5

Suggested Minimum Purchase to Maximum Configuration?

Hello!

I was wondering what suggestions those of you who have "blazed the configuration trail" might have?  

I primarily develop data-related software and have been doing so for a few years now.  I noticed a few months back that the P72 has the ability to use 128GB of memory.  My immediate thought was that I could, perhaps, swap one P72 for my current laptop and desktop, both of which have as much RAM as I am able to add.  

It would be nice to combine the two.  This would allow me to use the same box for work at my home office and when out in the field.  And, by using VMWare (currently doing so) I could have a few machines for the sort of testing I'd want to do.  Plus fool around with a Hackintosh. Smiley Wink

The basic thought is this; what is the minimum configuration I would need to purchase that would allow me to perform a field-level upgrade?  I am not worried about warranties or my ability to do the upgrades, just that I can make it happen.

I would, eventually, also want to run some Unix operating systems as well.

Thanks! 

Doug

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 131
Message 2 of 5

Re: Suggested Minimum Purchase to Maximum Configuration?

Hello,

I do not have a ThinkPad P72, but I did look at its Hardware Maintenance Manual.

In the ThinkPad P72, both the CPU and the GPU are soldered to the motherboard.  This means they cannot be upgraded.  Keep in mind that if you go with 128GB of RAM, it will not use ECC.  ECC support is limited to 64GB (4×16GB ECC SO-DIMMs).

Upgradable components are primarily the RAM (4×DDR4 SO-DIMMS) and storage (2×M2.2280, 1×2.5" SATA). For the storage, current largest M.2 SSDs are 2TB, and there are a few 8TB SSDs available from companies like Micron and Angelbird.  There's also the SD Card slot, which you could use to add another 512GB of storage.

You can probably change out the WLAN card if something newer becomes available, but I don't know of anything more modern than what it ships with.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

pjg
802.11n
Views: 124
Message 3 of 5

One thing to keep in mind is that when you order a Lenovo laptop, they don't put in the spare parts when you don't order something. If you order it with an SSD, you will not get the SATA cable to insert a SATA drive. If you order it with an HD, they don't put the screws in to hold the SSDs.  I would recommend ordering it with a base HD because it is easier to find the M.2 screw to hold the SSD in place.

And as Aryeh said, you cannot change the CPU and GPU after purchase so order the best you can afford there...

DougDodge
Paper Tape
Views: 116
Message 4 of 5

Aryeh,

Thank you for your insights. Appreciated!

I take your point regarding items being soldered to the motherboard. I think I found myself confronted by a much hardier group than I had originally anticipated! Smiley Wink

I was thinking more along the lines of base model which would allow me to add or upgrade later, like memory.  For one part of my original question, I failed to be clear about was related to maximum drive size. I believe, if I am reading your post correctly, if there were larger drives that would fit the location, I would be able to use them.  

The whole idea is to save as much $$ as I am able but also to 'tinker' a bit.  I like my systems to be 'just so.'

Thank you again!

Regards,

Doug

DougDodge
Paper Tape
Views: 114
Message 5 of 5

Thank you. Prudent advise indeed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors