Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dangerous_Dave
Punch Card
Views: 566
Message 1 of 7

Supervisor Password greyed out in BIOS

I recently acquired a Lenovo W530, however on startup it is asking for a password to move forward. I got this password from my supplier, however when I go into the BIOS to turn off the password protection, it says 'Can't remove when Supervisor Password is set' - meanwhile the Supervisor password change option is greyed out.

Is the password I have only the Power On password, with a separate Supervisor password that I don't have?

Is there any way to remove the Supervisor password if you don't have it (other than replacing the motherboard)?

techblogger911
Fanfold Paper
Views: 553
Message 2 of 7

Re: Supervisor Password greyed out in BIOS

Power on PW and Supervisor PW are different from each other, you can open your computer using power on PW but not on the other. I suggest you to contact the manufacturer directly and most of the time they can deactivate that PW on their end.

Dangerous_Dave
Punch Card
Views: 550
Message 3 of 7

Do you mean contact Lenovo support?

techblogger911
Fanfold Paper
Views: 548
Message 4 of 7

Dangerous_Dave
Punch Card
Views: 540
Message 5 of 7

It appears there is no online support. Their telephone support just put me on hold with no information about how long I was likely to be there for. The pre-recorded message also seemed to suggest that anyone out of warranty (which the machine is) would be out of luck. How sure are you that Lenovo will be able to do something about this situation?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 512
Message 6 of 7

The manufacturer cannot remove a supervisor password.  It is separate from power-on.  It can be the same as power-on or different.  There is no backdoor or default password.  You must either get the password from the previous owner or replace the motherboard.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 511
Message 7 of 7

Even Lenovo Authorised Service Providers aren't able to help you to remove the supervisor password. The only official way is the systemboard replacement.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Top Kudoed Authors