Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Camaralaye
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,769
Message 1 of 16

Swapped the HDD with an SSD in my new thinkpad P51 but W10 wouldn't boot

Hi everyone,

Since purchasing my thinkpad P51 about two weeks ago, I've found myself learning from and spending a significant amount of time on these wonderful forums. Although I haven't made any posts prior to this one, so far I've been impressed by what I've seen. I was looking for a particular thread concerning 2.5" SATA SSDs installation but I could not find one that precisely solved my issue. I got my thinkpad today and I immediately swapped the HDD (which it came with, 500GB) with a Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500GB during unboxing; I would like to know if this was a good idea. However, after powering on the laptop, it indicated an error. I then shut it down, readjusted the SSD and then powered it back on. This time it recognized it but only took me as far as this window with two tabs. The first tab was "boot menu" and the second tab was " Diagnostic menu" (not certain). The boot menu tab had a list of 3 options: I don't remember the first and third but the second option was the SSD name (Samsung 850 Evo SSD). When I select any of those options, it just brings me back to the same place or, does not take me anywhere. The Diagnostic menu simply just ran diagnostics. After reaching this dead end, I just reinstalled the original HDD and booted W10 seamlessly. Why this SSD did not work still baffles me and I need help figuring out why this happened. All I'm thinking of right now is returning the SSD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Also... if this seems too confusing for some of you, I intend to try to reinstall the SSD tomorrow and then take photos to post here.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,764
Message 2 of 16

Re: Swapped the HDD with an SSD in my new thinkpad P51 but W10 wouldn't boot

Hello and welcome,

Is there an operating system on your SSD?  What are you expecting to boot?  Is there another drive - internal or external - that you're trying to boot?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Camaralaye
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,748
Message 3 of 16

No, there isn't. I thought an operating system is usually installed after the SSD is installed into the Laptop. I swapped an HDD on a Mac before and I'm  not sure the HDD came with an operating system already installed. Also there is no other drive other than the SSD I intend to install.

Thanks! 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,740
Message 4 of 16

Please explain what you expect to happen.  With nothing to boot the BIOS probably ends up trying to boot from the network and throws an error.

Normally you'd plug in a USB drive with an OS installer on it, boot that, and use it to put the OS on the new SSD.

Perhaps you can provide more information: the error, what you're trying accomplish, etc...  Something's missing here.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,710
Message 5 of 16

@Camaralaye wrote:

No, there isn't. I thought an operating system is usually installed after the SSD is installed into the Laptop. I swapped an HDD on a Mac before and I'm  not sure the HDD came with an operating system already installed. Also there is no other drive other than the SSD I intend to install.

As was already said, your assumption that a brand newly purchased SSD would have anything at all on it is wrong.  The SSD is empty, with nothing on it.  No partitions, no OS, no nothing.  It's up to you to use it as you want and do whatever is necessary.

In your story, you apparently want to replace the delivered factory HDD spinner with the SSD.  So what you must do is "clone" all of the partitions (which includes Windows, Boot Manager, recovery partition, GPT placeholder, etc.) on the delivered HDD spinner over to the SSD.  The process of "cloning" really means copying each partition from SOURCE drive to DESTINATION drive. 

If both the SOURCE and DESTINATION drives are physically available to the PC at the same time (e.g. if you had two drives in two drive bays), the clone process is pretty easy.  But if you are going to pull out the HDD spinner and replace it with the SSD, obviously you can't just copy from one to the other since only one drive will be physically present.

What is usually done in your case when only one internal drive is available at a time is to use an external USB 3.0 drive for intermediate temporary storage as part of a simple multistep copy process:

(a) take a "system image" backup which is a COPY from source HDD spinner-> temp external drive, where the :system image" backup is actually a single file (like a special ZIP of the entire partition)

(b) perform drive surgery to swap out HDD spinner and install SSD,

(c) run a "system image" restore from temp external drive -> destination SSD (which is like doing an UNZIP of that single file, expanding it back to be the original paritition in its entirety but located on the SSD).

I recommend you use Macrium Reflect Free as your software tool to accomplish all of the above optional tasks. The program can perform both (a) direct "clone" from SOURCE to DESTINATION when two drives are available simultaneously, as well as (b) "system image" backup to a target folder on a target drive used for backups.  The Macrium web site provides lots of FAQ documents for reference about how to use the software, but I think you'll find that it is very easy and intuitive.

Camaralaye
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,696
Message 6 of 16

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I think Dsperber is spot on. I haven't done this before so I was pretty clueless about what I was doing. Meanwhile, isn't the P51 capable of using two SSD drives at the same time? As Dsperber explained, it would probably be easier if I clone the new SSD while both are installed. The other method seems to require a little more expertise and as a novice, I am wary of going that route. However, I'll do a bit more research before embarking on one of the methods you mentioned. I'll get back after I've done this. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,690
Message 7 of 16

One way to accomplish a,b,c above is to use the existing "create a recovery drive" tool in Win 10 to make a recovery flash drive. Once you've swapped main drives you boot that and restore the factory state to the new SSD.  Best to do  the recovery w/out the original drive installed so there's no confusion about  the recovery target.

It's not the same thing as a full backup or clone op since it doesn't bring along anything that's been installed by the user.  It only includes the OS and apps as originally delivered.

Most appropriate use is out-of-the-box.  A bonus is that you now have recovery media to archive for possible future use.  Once user data and apps have been added, a clone or image save/recovery usually makes more sense.

[edit to add] IMNSHO you should make recovery media first thing regardless of what transfer method you use.  (or even if you're not swapping drives at all...)

FWIW,

Z.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,663
Message 8 of 16

@Camaralaye wrote:

Meanwhile, isn't the P51 capable of using two SSD drives at the same time? As Dsperber explained, it would probably be easier if I clone the new SSD while both are installed. The other method seems to require a little more expertise and as a novice, I am wary of going that route.

Yes, any of these "do it yourself" approaches seems daunting the first time you get involved with it.  But as long as you understand the concept, and follow any "reasonable precautionary step" suggestions to protect yourself against possible accidental unintended mistake, you should be fine.  Ask any questions you might have, and we will answer.

As far as the option of having two 2.5" SSD's installed at once in the P51, yes that is possible. But I thought you were thinking of totally replacing the factory 2.5" HDD spinner with a 2.5" SSD in the same primary drive bay, so you would end up with only a single 2.5" SSD in that primary drive bay.

But the P51 has a second physical convertible drive bay available, which can be used in either of two configurations: (a) for a second 2.5" SATA drive (either HDD spinner or SSD), or (b) for one or two M.2 SSD drives, either SATA or NVMe. Either of these alternative approaches would ADD a second SSD drive to your P51 (thus now having two drives available simultaneously so that a direct "cloning" from HDD spinner to SSD could be done), rather than REPLACE your HDD spinner with some type of SSD (thus ending up with only a single drive in one of the P51 bays).

Your factory HDD spinner came installed with a 2.5" adapter bracket that allows the 7mm drive to fit snugly and securely in the primary 2.5" drive bay, and be SATA connected.  To make use of the second convertible drive bay for any of the optional configurations described above, you would need to purchase an associated second 2.5" adapter bracket or one/two M.2 trays (for either SATA or NVMe).

To use an M.2 SATA drive in either of the two M.2 bays, the P50/P51 requires an M.2 SATA mounting tray: Part number:  4XB0L78233

To use an M.2 NVMe drive in either of the two M.2 bays, the P50/P51 requires an M.2 NVMe mounting tray: Part number:  4XB0K59917

To install a 2.5" HDD/SSD in either the primary 2.5" bay or for conversion of the two M.2 bays to a second 2.5" bay, the P50/P51 requires the adapter bracket and cables,: Part number:  4XB0L63274

Note that if you do decide to go with the ADD (rather than REPLACE) approach and thus end up with two drives, one being HDD spinner and the second/third being SSD (either 2.5" SATA or M.2 SATA/NVMe), you should go ahead with the "clone" approach with transfers the operating system partitions from HDD spinner over to one of your new SSD's.  You then boot into the BIOS setup utility to change the boot sequence to now boot from the SSD instead of from the HDD spinner.

And after re-booting (now running Windows from an SSD), you can re-purpose your original factory HDD spinner to be a second "data" drive, with one or more "data partitions" on it instead of the original Lenovo-delivered Windows system partitions.  Easiest and best software product to use to do this partition work (and any other partition add/delete/create maintenance or re-sizing you might want to do in the future) is Minitool Partition Wizard Free.

Camaralaye
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,632
Message 9 of 16

I am pleased to announce that I have succesfully cloned and installed my new Samsung SSD to my P51. 

Initially, I was wary of taking the "Macrium Reflect" route that Dsperber recommended, but after taking a second look, it turned out to be a better option for me. I downloaded the free software (Macrium Reflect), installed it and ran it. When I opened the app, the original HDD and all its partitions were displayed. Meanwhile, I had connected my new SSD to my Thinkpad using a USB to HDD/SSD adapter, which I purchased from Fry's for $9.00. The SSD was also displayed just below the HDD. From there the rest was a piece of cake and it cloned flawlessly.  

After cloning, I shut down my Thinkpad, swapped the HDD with the SSD, and powered it back on. I'll admit the speed of the new SSD caught me off guard. I was simply FAST. 

I'll take this moment to thank the Lenovo community, especially Dsperber, for such caring help. I really appreciate it all.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,614
Message 10 of 16

Terrific!  Another success story for Macrium Reflect and a satisfied savvy user.  And don't forget that going forward the easiest and best software product to use to do any additional partition-tweaking work (i.e. any other partition add/delete/create maintenance or re-sizing you might want to do in the future) is Minitool Partition Wizard Free.

Yes, using an external USB 3.0 adapter is yet one more way to fabricate a [temporary] situation where there are two drives (both SOURCE and DESTINATION, in this case one external) available simultaneously, so that the simple "clone" partition copying process can be done directly. And Macrium also marks the destination Boot Manager partition "active", exactly as the source partition was, so that once the swap surgery is completed you don't even need to do anything extra in the BIOS to make things work.

Those external adapters are wonderful tools to have around for just about any purpose where you just want to have a bare drive accessible for some reason without actually having to physically install it in an internal drive bay, e.g. in the old days when replacing an old desktop IDE drive with a new SATA drive and you want to copy everything from old to new.  I myself use a similar Kingwin USI-2535SIU3 USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE adapter as part of my own bag of tricks, but your find of a similar device for $9 at Fry's that met your immediate needs is a great catch.  This is definitely a right hardware tool for the immediate job at hand.

Case closed.  Glad to have been able to help out.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors