Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick_Shl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 28,278
Message 1 of 73

Synaptics WBDI(SGX disabled) - Fingerprint broken on P71 after driver update

No fingerprint reader after Synaptics Metallica MOC Touch Fingerprint  Driver - 10 [64] - V.11.8.50.3460 update.

Device Manager - Biomettric Devices - Synaptics WBDI(SGX disabled) shows as broken - "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". Now I can't  login with my finger!

Looks like some problems with update. Please fix it!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 28,136
Message 2 of 73

Re: Synaptics WBDI(SGX disabled) - Fingerprint broken on P71 after driver update

Enter the BIOS Setup, Security menu, Intel SGX entry. Enable it. Then update the FPR driver from Lenovo site if it's needed. Note, neither Lenovo System Update nor Lenovo Vantage applications might update it. In this case update the driver manually.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

seberle1
Paper Tape
Views: 27,998
Message 3 of 73

Re: Synaptics WBDI(SGX disabled) - Fingerprint broken on P71 after driver update

Hello. I have the same problem on a Lenovo P51. The fingerprint reader stopped working a few days ago. There was a Code 10 in the device manager. I updated the driver through Windows 10 and now I get: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)" in the Windows Device Manager.

As you suggested, I went into the BIOS, but the Intel SGX was already enabled, so I made no changes. I tried to update the driver again through the Windows Device Manager, but Windows responded that I already had the latest driver. I still get Code 31 and the fingerprint reader is still not working.

Thanks for any help.

Nick_Shl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 27,989
Message 4 of 73

In the Windows Device Manager instead "Update Driver" press "Roll Back Driver". After that run update thru Lenovo Vantage again - it will install new driver one more time. In result fingerprint reader should work.

seberle1
Paper Tape
Views: 27,953
Message 5 of 73

Thanks, Nick_Shl. Unfortunately, "Roll Back Driver" is grayed out, so I can't do that.
Nick_Shl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 27,918
Message 6 of 73

Try "Uninstall" in this case.

seberle1
Paper Tape
Views: 27,857
Message 7 of 73

Before I uninstall the fingerprint driver, how will I reinstall it again?

crendon
Punch Card
Views: 27,638
Message 8 of 73

Well, you'll be able to see it again on the device tree, but it will remain displaying the exclamation point, going back to square one.

So with that, I'm saying I'm seeing the same problem on my P51. Can't use P51 at the moment. Has anyone reported this to the support channel? (trying avoid duplication)

crendon
Punch Card
Views: 27,630
Message 9 of 73

My exact same case. Same machine. Same output. Please kindly post back if you find a solution. Will do the same.
crendon
Punch Card
Views: 27,620
Message 10 of 73

Ok, found a way to "reset" the status of the device in the Device Manager (spoiler, not final solution, keep reading):

- Go to your support portal (Levono) and locate your computer model (you can put your serial number). 

- Once there, go to the drivers section and search for this term: "Synaptics WBDI"

- Download the driver and install it. Next, next, next to everything. 

- Reboot

After that, the device shows with no problems in the Device Manager. However, here's the caveat: when you try to add a fingerprint, Window's hello is unable to establish communication with the device and the dialog just vanishes (it flashes for about 2 seconds and literally disappear; must likely an unhandled exception by the driver is killing the interaction).

This is obviously not the final solution, but in my opinion will leave your computer in a "known state" so that when the fix comes, it "should" be seamless.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors