Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharky
What's DOS?
Views: 3,753
Message 81 of 86

Re: System Cannot Identify 4G RAM

This message is for LENOVO

Dear LENOVO: I am really hopping mad about not getting updates of BIOS to support 3.5 Gig Memory on my new T500 Win7 32bit. I could understand difficulties, but obviously this is not a new problem.

I bought this to use it with VMware which is not possible now. I start thinking about giving it back and buy something else.

Maybe other vendors can do better...?

Hope you fix it soon, otherwise the contract of sale is not fullfilled on your side...

mjdl
Token Ring
Views: 3,746
Message 82 of 86

No, you will never be able to use more than about 2.5GB of 4GB installed memory with Windows Vista/7 32-bit.

It's simply not possible with that combination of operating system & hardware, for all the various reasons already discussed in this topic thread. Other hardware will experience similar memory limits with Windows 32-bit, so it's not a Lenovo issue.

You might have more luck by trying a 64-bit version of Windows, or a version of Unix, in order to fully exploit all the installed memory.

ausmike
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,719
Message 83 of 86

Hello Sharky,

I would like to do a Summary of your issues ( from what & how I understand it)

a) YOU bought T500 TP from Lenovo , with x32bit OS , thinking it would run Windows x32bit like most other mfgs x32bit eg HP , Dell , etc

b) Now you are FRUSTRATED with x32, as LENOVO;s T500 cannot run VMWARE

c)VMWARE requires min of #.5GB to run ( I think this is true??)

....So here are some things that I have FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY with LENOVO/IBM systems.......

a) Lenovo = untill very recently only ASSAMBELLED the laptops.  most all the new models eg > Ideapads, Edge and some newer Tseres like 410s, W510 etc have been REDESIGNED and are being passed over to LENOVO to manage totally - disgn to mfg.

b) having said this; there are NUmber of BIOS, HARDWARE DRIVERS etc , still written and manged under IBM's desgin group and supplied to LENOVO.

c) Your issue > I fully agree  with you that VMWARE  should run on any x32but with 'normal' setups , like they do with Dell, HP etc laptops !!  so dont they run with lenovo/IBM laptops ?

d) casue there is a catch - BIOS fot most of these laptops = have been written for use with MULTIPLAFORM(mdeols)

Here is a link that kinda shows this well laid out ( note  - nothing has been added YET for newer T410s W510s etc)

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=BMOE-3VAM8Y

e) Your ISSUE of not able to access MEMORY to 3.GB( like most other bios can do ??

ITS BEEN HARD CODED BY LENOVO , for their machines ONLY!!

thats a fact......................

So I wish people who give answers would really look at the USERS FRUSTRATIONS..... trust me SHARKY.....i found this the hard way ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and thus with my little knowlege of BIOS modifications ( am no programmer) ,,,,,,,,, i know these  dont really help you , but yes , Lenovo = canot read above 2.987GB as ' LITERALLY set limit by MS"

However if you google 'Tseries Bios" you will find one guy from FRANCE who is in business to take your t500 BIOS and upgrade it. So than you install and run VMWARE ; and  also ;let you install ANY WIRELESS LAN/WAN card  and also fix other HARDRIVE issues that exist with Tseries laptops.

(nope not here to rubbish any IBM/Lenovo staff workers nor anyone else .... but wish pple know/tell some REAL FACTS and LISTERN to users ISSUES!!!)

Hope this help ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cheers everyone

Thinkpads - W;X &T Series (work)
Home- T60p;T43p;T20
few others
Revenent
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,647
Message 84 of 86

@ausmike wrote:

Hello Sharky,

I would like to do a Summary of your issues ( from what & how I understand it)

a) YOU bought T500 TP from Lenovo , with x32bit OS , thinking it would run Windows x32bit like most other mfgs x32bit eg HP , Dell , etc

b) Now you are FRUSTRATED with x32, as LENOVO;s T500 cannot run VMWARE

c)VMWARE requires min of #.5GB to run ( I think this is true??)

....So here are some things that I have FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY with LENOVO/IBM systems.......

a) Lenovo = untill very recently only ASSAMBELLED the laptops.  most all the new models eg > Ideapads, Edge and some newer Tseres like 410s, W510 etc have been REDESIGNED and are being passed over to LENOVO to manage totally - disgn to mfg.

b) having said this; there are NUmber of BIOS, HARDWARE DRIVERS etc , still written and manged under IBM's desgin group and supplied to LENOVO.

c) Your issue > I fully agree  with you that VMWARE  should run on any x32but with 'normal' setups , like they do with Dell, HP etc laptops !!  so dont they run with lenovo/IBM laptops ?

d) casue there is a catch - BIOS fot most of these laptops = have been written for use with MULTIPLAFORM(mdeols)

Here is a link that kinda shows this well laid out ( note  - nothing has been added YET for newer T410s W510s etc)

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=BMOE-3VAM8Y

e) Your ISSUE of not able to access MEMORY to 3.GB( like most other bios can do ??

ITS BEEN HARD CODED BY LENOVO , for their machines ONLY!!

thats a fact......................

So I wish people who give answers would really look at the USERS FRUSTRATIONS..... trust me SHARKY.....i found this the hard way ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and thus with my little knowlege of BIOS modifications ( am no programmer) ,,,,,,,,, i know these  dont really help you , but yes , Lenovo = canot read above 2.987GB as ' LITERALLY set limit by MS"

However if you google 'Tseries Bios" you will find one guy from FRANCE who is in business to take your t500 BIOS and upgrade it. So than you install and run VMWARE ; and  also ;let you install ANY WIRELESS LAN/WAN card  and also fix other HARDRIVE issues that exist with Tseries laptops.

(nope not here to rubbish any IBM/Lenovo staff workers nor anyone else .... but wish pple know/tell some REAL FACTS and LISTERN to users ISSUES!!!)

Hope this help ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cheers everyone

You do realize that:

1.  3.5 GB of memory on a 32-bit Windows OS is pretty hard to obtain, unless you have a very stripped down machine, since it is devices that tend to take up the memory.

2.  BIOS have shared components - OK, that's not exactly news.  You're talking about similar laptops - it's simplifying development.

3.  You're advocating using a non-sanctioned BIOS from some company.  Which will most likely cause stability issues.  I'm not sure if (a) that's wise or legal, (b) what happens when things go wrong and you need warranty repairs, and (c) would you trust a BIOS from something that shady?

Honestly, at this point, I think this thread should probably be locked - any solution other than somehow getting access to the full 4 GB on a 32-bit Windows OS will not satisfy people, and considering even my desktop can only get 3 GB, I doubt it'll ever happen.

Highlighted
mjdl
Token Ring
Views: 3,643
Message 85 of 86

Yes, the whole thing in all its aspects--technical, legacy considerations, Microsoft Windows history, etc.--has been discussed to death.

The summary is: Lenovo notebooks with switchable graphics hardware will only be able to use a maximum of roughly 2.5GB of installed memory when used with a Microsoft Windows 32-bit operating system; this limit is a combination of hardware and compatibility constraints of 32-bit Microsoft Windows.

Former Administrator
Views: 3,597
Message 86 of 86

Re: System Cannot fully utilize 4G RAM under 32bit OS

All,

This question has been asked and answered repeatedly in this thread and as new members are often likely to read a few messages and then tack on a reply, I'm marking the last post which is a fairly succinct summary as the solution and locking the thread. 

Ending the discussion per request.

Best regards,

Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors