Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukaszsw
802.11n
Views: 6,002
Message 41 of 86

Re: System Cannot Identify 4G RAM

@maximinus_thrax wrote:
To start with, I'm not exactly savvy in the areas concerning the details of all of this but...from what I can gather (barring the tech talk), if I want to get full usage of all 4G of RAM that I paid for on my W500 I am going to have to upgrade to the 64-Bit OS.  Am I correct in this assumption? 

As far as I know, you are 100% correct.

--
T540 i7 4700MQ, GT 730M, 8GB RAM, Win7
maximinus_thrax
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,999
Message 42 of 86

@lukaszsw wrote:
As far as I know, you are 100% correct.

I was afraid of that...
Isn't that what the original post was asking in the first place?  That being said, if that is indeed the case, why was it a purchasing option to begin with?  The fact that Lenovo allowed me to buy it this way led me to believe that it was fully compatible ...that's the way it's done normally isn't it?  

802.11n
Views: 5,979
Message 43 of 86

Technically it is fully compatible - the computer is using both sticks in dual channel and then I guess it might be a little better than having 2+1gb but you might need a good stop watch to measure the speed difference =)

Lenovo actually reccomends 3gb but I agree that there should be some sort of an explanation, especially that the difference is 100$.

Its actually good for businnes to skip the tech explanation. I was recently looking for a computer for a friend and she was all like
"this one is better it has 4 RAM, not 3 like the other one" So it works great =)

I only upgraded my T61 with 1gb on WinXp but then I've got W500 with Vista so I thought to myself - it needs more memory, maybe it can actually make use of some of the additional RAM. Well, 100$ later I know it can't =) I had to make sure myself

Message Edited by lukaszsw on 01-22-2009 05:18 PM
--
hoivan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,841
Message 44 of 86

I wish I would have read this thread before purchasing the W500. I also ordered the system with 4GB RAM and Vista Business Edition SP1 (32-bit). Both task manager and MSINFO32 shows that I have 4GB physically but only 2.5GB is available. I also confirmed that the Display Properties for the ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 is actually allocated 1516MB of memory, so I guess that's where an extra 1GB went to.

I have other pc's with 4GB of RAM running XP and they are fine using 3.5 GB. So, I wouldn't have imagined that the W500 would not be able to use at least 3GB. So this is extremely disappointing! And I ought to think that Lenovo should advise users of this serious limitation. Putting aside the $100 price difference, it's a serious drawback!

Has anyone confirmed that upgrading to 64-bit Vista or XP will grant full access to all 4GB? And will Lenovo ship/replace the 32-bit o/s for free for this "oversight"?

I'm also concerned that some apps like Cisco VPN client and other drivers will not work on 64-bit o/s.

If someone has a solution to free up the 1GB from the video system, I'll definitely like to give it a try. Otherwise, I will have to return this unit.

lukaszsw
802.11n
Views: 5,837
Message 45 of 86

You are jumping to conclusion - My display properties report 1277 mb  of system memory used by graphics adapter (+512 of its own, total of 1789) and system information reports 3gb of memory available. So what, should I ask Lenovo how did I get 4277 MB of memory? Well, I'd assume I just don't know what these numbers mean and apparently summing  them doesn't do the trick.

As for what to do - my memory jumped to 3,00 from 2,49 when I set the pagefile to recommended 4 GB (min and max). Its seems like its just redirected from the pagefile but actually task manager shows 3GB of physical memory, so I guess it is better.

Message Edited by lukaszsw on 02-02-2009 12:02 AM
--
Highlighted
Izmi
Token Ring
Views: 5,828
Message 46 of 86

hoivan wrote: I'm also concerned that some apps like Cisco VPN client and other drivers will not work on 64-bit o/s.

Hi hoivan,

Your concern that the Cisco VPN client does not work is a valid one. Indeed, Cisco's VPN client does NOT work on XP64 and Vista 64. Furthermore, Cisco has no plans to support their VPN client on XP64 or Vista 64. Though, if you can use Cisco's AnyConnect VPN Client, then you won't have problems. For there is a 64bit version of it.

If you use the Cisco VPN client only occasionally, then another option is to install Vista 64 and setup Windows XP with the VPN client in a virtual machine. 

Information from Cisco can be found here.

Update: Sorry about the lack of "NOT" where there should have been one.
Message Edited by Izmi on 02-03-2009 08:14 AM
Izmi
Token Ring
Views: 5,824
Message 47 of 86

I cannot confirm that setting the pagefile size to 4096MB (fixed) changes the amount of RAM which is available to the user.

I use a T400 with switchable graphics enabled on Vista 32 SP1.

As other users have reported, you can make more memory available by disabling switchable graphics and using Intel-only or AMD-only drivers. But with switchable graphics, so far nobody was able to get more than 2.5GB RAM with Vista 32.

hoivan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,798
Message 48 of 86

Is there another alternative "high-end" Thinkpad that would not encounter this issue with the graphics "hogging" system memory? I really like to be able to use a 32-bit o/s with 3+ GB RAM.
hoivan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,777
Message 49 of 86

Has anyone confirmed that upgrading to Vista64 or XP/64 will increase the available memory to the full 4GB to the o/s? I just want to make sure that this is indeed possible before I go thru this hassle.

Otherwise, if I'm still left with 3GB due to the ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 video adapter, then it's not really an improvement.

By the way, I spoke with Lenovo Tech Support and Sales earlier today. They are claiming ignorance and basically said that I should have done more research before buying the W500! They kept insisting that it's a known fact that a loss of 0.5 - 1GB of available memory will be unusable to the o/s. But hey; I'm sure I'm not the only who found out the hard way.

To say the least they were not helpful with this situation. They couldn't get me a 64-bit o/s replacement/upgrade and advised me to return it (with a 15% restocking fee) and reorder a new one with Vista64! Ridiculous!

maximinus_thrax
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,764
Message 50 of 86

So this is the kind of customer support we can expect from the company we decided to purchase from...great...this was the exact reason I avoided other companies.  

I'm still waiting to a Lenovo rep respond with their reasons for terrible support and cheap gimics to garner money from customers.  With all the responses this is getting someone's got to respond at some point.

Message Edited by maximinus_thrax on 02-02-2009 07:52 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors