Did you mean: 
Izmi
Token Ring
Views: 7,347
Message 31 of 86

Re: System Cannot Identify 4G RAM

@erik wrote:

@wjli2 wrote:
enough of my problem, i guess we should focus back on the original poster's question, is his OS taskmanager showing only 2.5 gig normal or not???

sounds normal to me.   the W series have two GPUs and each need separate address space, hence the loss of another 512MB.

Well, now we're getting philosophical. It's "normal" in the sense that it happens to most users of a ThinkPad with switchable graphics (more precisely: it's the case for all users running Vista 32).Though, it's certainly not "normal", as I've written elsewhere, in the sense that one should expect this behavior. For it's common knowledge that 3-3.5GB RAM are available to the user under Vista 32. Lenovo deviates from that expectation by a rather big margin, namely 0.5-1.0GB.

Thus, one may expect them to announce it. But they didn't. So, one is led to believe that one can use the usual amount of RAM on such a system. And this is a mistake. To me, it seems that it has legal significance. Though, never mind, I'm not a lawyer.

I think that it is telling that no Lenovo employee explains the situation.

And it would be rather easy:

• There should be a note in online ordering system and in the sales literature.
  • Lenovo should state whether this behavior is expected or not. Moreover, Lenovo should state whether they are going to improve the situation (by a BIOS/driver update).
  • There should be a Lenovo "tip" document about it.

Isn't this just common sense?
Message Edited by Izmi on 12-08-2008 02:18 AM
HSK
Paper Tape
Views: 7,280
Message 32 of 86

To answer my own question, I just installed Vista business x64, here are the new numbers (msinfo32.exe):

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Enterprise
System Type x64-based PC
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.90 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.06 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.98 GB
Page File Space 4.19 GB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinkpad T400, 4GB, 250GB 5400rpm, switchable graphics, Vista Business 64
SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 7,290
Message 33 of 86

Izmi,

this isn't philosophical... this is how addressing works.   video adapters suck up address space in every computer sold today, thinkpads included.   my thinkstation has 16GB installed and 2.5GB of that gets eaten up by the nvidia quadro FX 3700.   this isn't lenovo's fault -- there's nowhere else to put that 2.5GB worth of addresses.   they have to come from somewhere.

with that said, i agree that something should be published somewhere about how addressing affects various systems.   there is still a mass of confusion surrounding this subject.   however, this is as much a microsoft issue as it is a vendor/manufacturer issue.   and, plenty of information has been posted on microsoft.com.

i don't agree with you that this is somehow a conspiracy due to a lack of official response on the topic.   this forum isn't an official support channel.   while lenovo staff and employees might visit, those who post here are doing so on their own time -- admins, staff, employees, and moderators included.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

bojangles
Punch Card
Views: 7,228
Message 34 of 86

Is there an easy way to ask this question?

How about this?

I have a W500... It is running vista32.

I installed 4G Ram....... is this good?

Will it hurt the machine? will it improve it? Should I pull out one of the 2G memory chips and put back a 1G ( total 3g?)

I am interested in all the chit chat about memory mapping.. allocations etc... but really all i want to know is what to do with the memory that I have in my hand.....

??

Bruce 

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 7,213
Message 35 of 86

bojangles,

4GB will work.   it's good.   it won't hurt anything.

vista 32 will be limited to approximately 3.2GB minus whatever your graphics processor maps out -- which could be up to 1GB.   this would leave your system with only about 2GB total memory free for applications.

you could install 3GB instead but there's no need if you already bought 4GB (unless you want to sell the second 2GB module).

hopefully that makes sense. Smiley Very Happy   if not, please feel free to ask.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

carl_lyn
Paper Tape
Views: 7,171
Message 36 of 86

So, after reading all these interesting inputs and explanation, is it your opinion and recommendation to install/use VISTA 64bit, if one wants to make good use of 4GB for the w500? Is there any reason not to make a clean install using vista 64?... And if the case, why don't Lenovo use 64bit as standard. 

Thank for the interesting insights. 

//Carl

HSK
Paper Tape
Views: 7,137
Message 37 of 86

@carl_lyn wrote:

So, after reading all these interesting inputs and explanation, is it your opinion and recommendation to install/use VISTA 64bit, if one wants to make good use of 4GB for the w500? Is there any reason not to make a clean install using vista 64?... And if the case, why don't Lenovo use 64bit as standard. 

Thank for the interesting insights. 

//Carl

Depends whether the applications you will use works with Vista 64. I did a clean install of VB64, everything worked just fine, but none of the applications we use at work worked: VPN client, lisence manager (Flexlm, which uses 16bit code), Lotus Notes. Curently awaiting the 32-bit intallation disk from Lenovo to re-install original system, changing the partitions f's up the recovery system for my case I guess ...

What you will have to think through is how much memory you really need and whether it's worth going through all the fuzz to get there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinkpad T400, 4GB, 250GB 5400rpm, switchable graphics, Vista Business 64
majstor
Paper Tape
Views: 6,979
Message 38 of 86

I've just installed another 2GB of RAM on my W500 with vista32.

Task manager is showing total physical memory of 2519MB (with only 2GB of RAM was 1991MB) so i've looked for memory used by graphic card.

Info in display settings (Ati Mobility GireGL v5700):

Total available graphic memory 1516MB

Dedicated video memory 512MB

System video memory 0MB

Shared system memory 1004MB

Why is 1.5GB available for ATI? Could it be reduced?

Message Edited by majstor on 12-11-2008 11:55 AM
lukaszsw
802.11n
Views: 6,309
Message 39 of 86

Izmi wrote:

For it's common knowledge that 3-3.5GB RAM are available to the user under Vista 32. Lenovo deviates from that expectation by a rather big margin, namely 0.5-1.0GB.

Common knowledge, right. Common internet knowledge of hardware and software experts. Also "Lenovo", of course, surely HP with FireGL V5700 can use/detect more memory.

My advice is not to look at the numbers windows is giving you. I had it the same thing (2519 mb out of 4GB detected) looked around the interent, didn't find anything useful and forget about it. Than my uncle, who services laptops and servers told me that I will keep having problems if my Pagefile disabled (and I did have errors) and also to set minimum recommended value. Did that, everything run fine. After a while I came back to this system info tool and all of a sudden it showed 3GB of memory avaible to use. Yet I couldln't care less since everything runs fine.

I think I just wasted time before to solve it when it solved itself out. "If it ain't broken don't fix it"

--
T540 i7 4700MQ, GT 730M, 8GB RAM, Win7
maximinus_thrax
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,233
Message 40 of 86

To start with, I'm not exactly savvy in the areas concerning the details of all of this but...from what I can gather (barring the tech talk), if I want to get full usage of all 4G of RAM that I paid for on my W500 I am going to have to upgrade to the 64-Bit OS.  Am I correct in this assumption? 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors