cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 49,247

In response to the high activity level of customer discussions concerning modifying P50 and P70 ThinkPads to accommodate various drive configurations, Lenovo has made a ThinkPad Mobile Workstation Storage Kit available.

It can be ordered here: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/4XB0L63274/460/7EF7D50A5A7047049A355BF42AAF3C5C#overview

The ThinkPad Mobile Workstation Storage Kit contains the following components:

CRU#: 4XB0L63274

SB40H36018 - CS15 HDD Bracket 7.2mm ASM

SC10K04563 - HDD cable R, slot3, ESKYLINK

SC10K04566 - HDD cable L, slot4, ESKYLINK

SM20L08773 - Sponge, Log Low HDD (also known as a pad)

P50 and P70 ThinkPads support standard size 2.5-inch 7mm SATA HDDs and M.2 2280 SSDs - either SATA or PCIe/NVMe.

P50 ThinkPads

Supports two HDDs or one HDD plus two SSDs

M.2 SSDs install in the second HDD bay using M.2 SSD trays

Does not have an ODD bay

Details:

• 2 (max) 2.5-inch form factor, 7-mm (0.28-inch) height Serial ATA (SATA) hard disk drives

or

• 1 (max) 2.5-inch form factor, 7-mm (0.28-inch) height Serial ATA (SATA) hard disk drive
  • 2 (max) M.2 form factor, Peripheral Component Interconnection Express (PCIe) or SATA solid-state drives

Note: M.2 SSDs mounted in second HDD bay using ThinkPad P50 M.2 SSD Tray

Option P/N 4XB0K59917 for the ThinkPad P50 M.2 SSD Tray can be used for SATA and PCIe/NVMe SSDs. The thermal changes to support NVMe SSDs were implemented on a rolling basis for the option part.

P70 ThinkPads

Supports two HDDs and two SSDs or one HDD, two SSDs and one ODD

Details:

• 2 (max) 2.5-inch form factor, 7-mm (0.28-inch) height Serial ATA (SATA) hard disk drives

Note: Second HDD installed in optical drive bay using ThinkPad P70 HDD Adapter for ODD Bay

• 2 (max) M.2 form factor, Peripheral Component Interconnection Express (PCIe) or SATA solid-state drives

Note: PCIe/NVMe SSDs require ThinkPad P70 NVMe M.2 Solid-State Drive Thermal Insulation Pad

or

• 1 (max) 2.5-inch form factor, 7-mm (0.28-inch) height Serial ATA (SATA) hard disk drive

Note: PCI/NVMe SSDs require ThinkPad P70 NVMe M.2 Solid-State Drive Thermal Insulation Pad

• 1 (max) 9.5mm height Serial ATA (SATA) optical disk drive

Option P/N 4XH0L67917 for the Think P70 HDD Adapter for ODD Bay will be made available on 8/05/16.

Setting up RAID 0/1 on P70 ThinkPad Systems:

NB_ODD has two selectable options, ODD_BLANK_BEZEL_FIXED and DVD_RECORDABLE_9.5MM_FIXED

RAID Setup P70.png

*Please note that 3rd-party manufactured components are not supported by Lenovo. If you find one does not work with the system, please try another from a different vendor.

Was this information helpful?

Comments

The P70 ODD 5.25" HDD adapter ALSO requires the mobile storage kit. However, there is no mention of this dependency in either the technical specifications for the adapter, nor is there a setup poster included with the adapter. I've now had to order an additional storage adapter to correctly mount my SSD in the adapter.

YMMV

Bazinger

The product at the link you provide is no longer available! And when I search for "4XB0L63274" on the site, nothing comes up.

Does this mean that P70 users no longer need this kit to install any kind of storage they want?

siphon

Note:

I've since posted a more thorough question trying to clarify this page, here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Installing-a-2-5-quot-SSD-in-a-P50-Offic...

Original post:

I have what is probably a pretty basic question. I have a P50, which came with a traditional SATA HDD. I want to replace that SATA HDD, with a SATA SSD. Specifically I'm looking at a Samsung EVO 850, 2.5" form factor, drive.

(I realize the P50 can also support M.2 form factor drives, but due to the longer track record and reliability history, and the better prices, I want to go with the 2.5" form factor SSD's, not M.2 drives.)

I'm pretty sure I've seen forum posts of people who have done this, and are using 2.5" form factor SSD's in the P50 and P70.  However, I'm a little confused reading this post, because it refers to the 2.5" form factor drives exclusively as HDD's, and the SSD's exclusively as M.2's. It doesn't specifically mention the possibility of a 2.5" SSD.

Is there any problem with using a 2.5" SSD (like the Samsung 850 EVO2.5" SATAIII SSD), in the manner mentioned here for HDD's? Is there any issue I should know (ie, thermal) when doing this? Can I use the same "ThinkPad Mobile Workstation Storage Kit" to install a 2.5" SSD, just like I'd have installed an HDD?

Thank you!

There should be no issue changing the physical drive to the 2.5" SSD from the 2.5" HDD. Remove the rubber bracket from the HDD and install it on the SSD. The SSD will go in mfg label up. I assume also that you've made an image of the system before the swap so that you can restore the drive contents.

p8092040

In Amy_Lenovo's post above, for the P70, she states:

P70 ThinkPads

Supports two HDDs and two SSDs or one HDD, two SSDs and one ODD

Details:

Note: Second HDD installed in optical drive bay using ThinkPad P70 HDD Adapter for ODD Bay

Note: PCIe/NVMe SSDs require ThinkPad P70 NVMe M.2 Solid-State Drive Thermal Insulation Pad

I phoned Lenovo Support and searched the Lenovo Store and other resources. Nobody at Lenovo seems to know anything about the "Note: PCIe/NVMe SSDs require ThinkPad P70 NVMe M.2 Solid-State Drive Thermal Insulation Pad".

As I'm installing a Samsung 960 PRO PCIe/NVMe drive in a P70, I need to know:

(#1) if this Thermal Insulation Pad is still required?

(#2) if anyone can comment on their experience with the Samsung 960 PRO PCIe SSD in a P70 with the i7 CPU please?  

Thx.

deadpoet4

The link is no longer available. Is there an update? I have the P50 and would really love to upgrade it soon.

LazerGlow

Be advised: I installed a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 drive as my boot drive and it had issues returning from Sleep. Otherwise, it worked great. Sent it in for warranty repair at Lenovo and they claimed it was the unsupported drive causing the problem. Their solution was to install a Lenovo drive. 

Contributors