Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seanhunter
Paper Tape
Views: 2,892
Message 1 of 14

System Update shows No Applicable Packages found

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad W540 running Windows 8.1. I installed system update from the Lenovo support site and it forces an update as soon as I run it. When the update completes and it runs, I get an error message :There are no applicable packages found for your system. I am running Version 5.06.0027.

I cant believe that this problem has no resolution, but I cant find anything. My system is a base install of Windows 8.1 with IE, Chrome, Firefox and Office 2013. There is nothing else installed. This is the third time I have reinstalleed Windows 8.1 and the same problem happens. Does this version of the software work in Windows 8.1? Am I doing something wrong?

Please Help if anyone knows how to fix this.

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,830
Message 2 of 14

Re: System Update shows No Applicable Packages found

@seanhunter wrote:

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad W540 running Windows 8.1. I installed system update from the Lenovo support site and it forces an update as soon as I run it. When the update completes and it runs, I get an error message :There are no applicable packages found for your system. I am running Version 5.06.0027.

Probably just a typo, but are you sure your version is 5.06.0027?  I thought the current version of System Update was 5.06.0024?

seanhunter
Paper Tape
Views: 2,825
Message 3 of 14

It isnt a typo, when I look at the about it shows that the version is 5.06.0027. I am attaching a screen shot of the about pageSystem Update Version.png

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,808
Message 4 of 14

Can you please run msinfo32.exe and tell me what is reported for "System Manufacturer" and "System Model"?  This information is on the right-hand panel about 6 lines down from the top.

seanhunter
Paper Tape
Views: 2,803
Message 5 of 14

System Manufacturer: LENOVO

System Model: 20BG0011US

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,794
Message 6 of 14

@seanhunter wrote:

It isnt a typo, when I look at the about it shows that the version is 5.06.0027.

Well, you're right.  And Lenovo is wrong.

The Lenovo driver update page for my W530 shows 5.06.0024 from 11/24/2014 as the latest version, as does the update page for the W540.  And yet, when running the currently installed program on my W530 I, too, got the advice about a newer version that needed to be installed.  I gave it the OK, and when it was done I had 5.06.0027 as you did. So obviously the Lenovo download site hasn't been updated to match what they actually have available for auto-download via System Update.

Furthermore, thinking I was right up-to-date I went ahead and checked for any updates, and there was one "critical" update.  It was for the Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller, v11.2.0.1006. Strange, since I already had that update installed.

==> And even furthermore, this individual driver is not even shown on the Lenovo W530 or W540 driver download page.  However v11.2.0.1006 is shown as the relevant "Intel SATA Controller" driver for this device for the L430 and L530 machines, but not for the W530!!

Anyway, I let System Update run to install this critical update and re-booted.  And, naturally, no surprise after the re-boot the very same 11.2.0.1006 version I previously already had installed now still shows as what's currently installed... since I'd already had it installed from an earlier System Update.

I then re-ran System Update again, and once again it reports this same one driver needs updating and again it's shown as "critical".  Obviously there is something broken in System Update regarding discovery of the SATA AHCI controller driver version that is installed vs. what the download site provides.

My own personal guess is that this is caused by Intel's confusing renaming of their chipset driver.  System Update refers to it as "Intel Rapid Storage AHCI Driver for Windows 64-bit", but the actual name of the device as shown in Device Manager is "Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller".

And furthermore, I just did a Device Manager "update driver software...", letting it check online for updates.  Sure enough it did update with a newer driver (from MS via Intel, rather than from Lenovo).  I'm about to reboot so we'll see what version it actually updated to.

Ok, back from re-boot.  New version is 12.8.10.1005 from Intel Corporation dated 11/15/2013.  Same device name as before: ""Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller".

==> Just did some research on this version, and Lenovo shows 12.8.10.1005 as the most current version of "Intel SATA Controller AHCI Driver" applicable only for the L440 and L540 machines, but not for the W540.  And yet Windows Update (which operates solely on the basis of Hardware ID from the device itself) grabbed it from their MS Update Catalog Site for my W530!!

And just for grins, I ran System Update again. Sure enough, it again insists I need a "critical" update for the same old v11.2.0.1006.  Apparently it simply doesn't recognize that the correct (and newer) driver is already installed.

Again, my hunch is that it is confusion caused by Intel's renaming of the device in its newer driver versions.  It used to even be called Intel 7 Series C216 Chipset SATA AHCI Controller (as contrasted with the C220 Chipset for Haswell CPU's).  By using the terms "Intel Rapid Storage" Lenovo seems to be looking for a RAID driver, even though that is not the configuration on my W530.

Oh well.  5.06.0027 is certainly the latest version of System Update, even if it's not shown that way on the Lenovo download pages for the W530 and W540.

And Lenovo needs to review Intel's proper names and appropriate driver files for the Hardware ID's for the AHCI-mode (non-RAID) SATA controllers in the W530 and W540, as they simply are blowing it in System Update in terms of what driver is appropriate.  And then of course they need to place the correct driver on their download site.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,775
Message 7 of 14

seanhunter

Can you please zip up the "logs" folder in "C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\SystemUpdate" and share it on dropbox/onedrive/etc?  Or else e-mail it to me lenovoforums@yahoo.com.  If you e-mail me, please post back here so that I know to go look for your e-mail.  Thanks.

seanhunter
Paper Tape
Views: 2,743
Message 8 of 14

I have emailed the log directory. It is coming from <redacted>

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,737
Message 9 of 14

I got the logs, thank you.  I edited your above post to remove your e-mail address from public view.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,704
Message 10 of 14

seanhunter

The log shows a problem accessing the below file.  Can you open it from your browser?

https://download.lenovo.com/catalog/20BG_Win8_DESC.xml

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors