Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rterzi
Paper Tape
Views: 793
Message 1 of 7

System drive Samsung PM961 nvme crashing on heavy I/O

My ThinkPad P51 with Lenovo supplied nvme system SSD (Samsung PM961 MZNLN512HMJP-000L7) is crashing lately during heavy I/O.  I don't know if it's a hardware problem or possibly a firmware bug. I'm looking for advice on how to troubleshoot. The system is under warranty.  I want to avoid spinning my wheels with service.

I'm current with Windows 10 Pro and Lenovo updates.  I've got the latest BIOS. There doesn't seem to be any firmware updates available for that drive as it is supposed to be supplied by the OEM.  Samsung magician doesn't support that drive because it is the OEM edition.

When the problem occurs the drive goes offline.  This causes Windows 10 to crash (blue screen) and reboot.   No windows system log entries are written since the drive went off line.  No dump is available.

I first noticed the problem when trying to do a full backup.

The built in diagnostics see no problem.  They do a quick scan that isn't enough I/O to trigger the problem.  A chkdsk to scan for bad sectors will cause the system to crash.

If I boot into a Linux rescue environment, I can see the same problem occur just trying to do a sequential read.  Usually after reading about 60-100 GB the drive goes offline.  There are messages in dmesg about reseting the nvme controller and capacity going from 512 GB to 0.

I wouldn't mind getting the drive replaced by the warranty, but I don't want to waste a lot of time trying unnecessary steps.

How can I make sure the drive has the latest firmware?

Any ideas on how to diagnose this?  

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 733
Message 2 of 7

Re: System drive Samsung PM961 nvme crashing on heavy I/O

I haven't heard of a problem like this before.

Have you checked to make sure you have the latest OEM firmware on the drive?

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/in/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-P-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

rterzi
Paper Tape
Views: 714
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your help.

Dumb question - How should I have found that firmware update (without asking here?)
rterzi
Paper Tape
Views: 705
Message 4 of 7

So far it looks like the firmware update may have resolved the problem.

Note: the problem seemed to be somewhat heat related. When testing, I noticed that temps seem to spike when reading somewhere around 75-100 GB into the disk and that was around when the drive would go offline.

I don't have a handle on nvme drives and smart, but it seems that the drive has logged 471 "error information log entries" but I don't know how to interpret those. However it's got 0 media and data integrity errors.

I'm still wondering if I should try to get the drive replaced or not. My confidence in it is a little shaken.
rterzi
Paper Tape
Views: 639
Message 5 of 7

I continued to have problems. Contacted warranty service, they shipped a new drive (NVMe module) without any hassle. I thought it was going to be a problem because the quick diags passed but there were no options to do a more extensive I/O.

New drive works fine in Linux. However trying to do a Windows Recovery, Reset my PC, aka the option to reinstall from a USB recovery drive created with the system fails at 77%. The error message is just that there was an error. I can't figure out how to get more information about what went wrong.

I see lots of pages that claim to solve this problem but they don't seem to have any applicable solution. I'm going to try to start a new thread here under a reasonable topic name to see if I can get any help.
tiny0
What's DOS?
Views: 319
Message 6 of 7

This also impacted me on Lenovo T570. 

System crashing under high disk i/o. I was able to keep the system up long enough to copy off the data by turning off the antivirus software. 

I did update the firmware and then this happened immediately:

- rebooted system after firmware update

- system booted up and I logged in

- system froze while still loading the desktop

- SSD no longer detected

As I'm in Australia I have 2 years warranty, currently working on a claim for the SSD. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 316
Message 7 of 7

@rterzi If you look here: 

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en

and enter p51.  Select Drivers & Software.  Then look under storage

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors