Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_AndreW_
Not applicable
Views: 781
Message 1 of 6

THINKPAD P71: DISABLE / ENABLE Nvme SSD from the bios options

I have thinkpad P71. This notebook has two nvme slots.
I would like enable and disable nvme memory or HDD storage from Bios options.

See another similar topic request.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-P70-feature-request-Disable-Enable-S...

This feature is extremely useful for professional applications.

Is it possible to do? Could you help me asap?

Please help with any ideas and solutions if you have. Thanks.

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 755
Message 2 of 6

Re: THINKPAD P71: DISABLE / ENABLE Nvme SSD from the bios options

Welcome to the Community

According to the BIOS Setup Help (Startup -> Boot):
"Shift+1 enables or disables a device"

Try this.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

_AndreW_
Not applicable
Views: 705
Message 3 of 6

Thank you so very much for your response, but the following option does not seem to work.

I can still see and work on the storage device disabled on bios

Bios N1TET47W 1.21

Disable_samsung_SSD.pngDisable_Bios_Option_SSD_Storage.pngHave you any ideas to solve?

DSperber
Not applicable
Views: 656
Message 4 of 6

@x220forme wrote:

According to the BIOS Setup Help (Startup -> Boot):
"Shift+1 enables or disables a device"

Try this.

I believe this suggestion is incorrect in that it doesn't actually ENABLE or DISABLE a device as far as the machine hardware is concerned.

This action in the BIOS Startup -> Boot function simply "excludes" or "includes" a device in the Boot Device Sequence list.  I believe the writers of the HELP information described it poorly using inappropriate English.  They probably were trying to express the fact that Shift+1 either removes (i.e. removes it from the "active" Boot Device Sequence list, placing it in the "excluded" list) or reinserts (i.e. removes it from the "excluded" list and reinserts back it into the "active" Boot Device Sequence list).a device which is potentially bootable.

It doesn't mean that the excluded devices conceptually have their power plug pulled.  It simply means they will not be examined at boot time, in sequence, to find a bootable partition.  They still remain 100% available for normal use as storage devices.  They are simply ignored when looking for a device/partition to boot from.

Now there is one more mysterious item that the HELP describes, namely the DELETE key.  The claim is that this actually "deletes" an "unprotected device", whatever that means.  I tried using the DELETE key on the non-bootable items I already had in my "excluded" list, and nothing happened.  Nothing actually vanished from the "excluded" list.  So I have no idea what this is for if it's even really functional, but again I'm sure it has nothing to do physically "un-plugging from power" any device.

My understanding is certainly supported by the OP's results, where any "excluded" devices are still 100% functional and usable as shown in the pictures.

DSperber
Not applicable
Views: 652
Message 5 of 6

@_AndreW_ wrote:

I would like enable and disable nvme memory or HDD storage from Bios options.

See another similar topic request.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-P70-feature-request-Disable-Enable-S...

The forum topic referenced is simply a "wish I could do this" post. It doesn't mean the feature actually exists, which it doesn't.

And as far as thinking (as mentioned in that other thread) that it would be a good solution for having multiple bootable Windows available (on different drives, I suppose) where they are somehow and for some reason in conflict if both are "visible", my own perspective is that physically disabling them (either with a wish-list BIOS option or by actually pulling their power plug) is not really a great idea.  Windows Boot Manager is designed to support multiple bootable Windows system partitions, for any version of Windows, and residing on the same or different physical drives, in either "primary" or "logical" partitions when MBR is used for drives 2TB or smaller, or on a GPT partition on a drive of any size using GPT partitioning.

The only consequence of having multiple other Windows system partitions "visible" to any individual booted and operating Windows partition come in some potential confusion regarding default assigned drive letters (D, E, F, etc.) for visible partitions of any kind, with the booted Windows partition always assigning itself as C.  The proper way to "avoid confusion" when running in a multi-bootable multiple Windows environment is simply to use DISKMGMT to change the default assigned drive letters for "non-C data partitions" (as viewed by each Windows itself once booted to it) to simply be consistent, so that the same physical partition on any given physical drive always has the same drive letter.  This eliminates brain problems and confusion no matter which Windows you're actually booted to.  For example, assigning a particular physical partition the letter of "E" in every bootable Windows environment that can see that same physical partition, this will make it really easy for you to simply think of your environment as always having the same drives and partitions for "data", no matter which Windows you're booted to.

There is potential confusion, of course, as to what you should letter the other Windows partitions as, which will increase in complexity if you have more than just two Windows to boot to.  My own solution in all of my own dual-Windows setups is to of course have the operating Windows always be C, and then to assign "O" to the "other Windows" partition.  So no matter which of the two Windows I'm booted to, C is the running Windows and "O" is the other one.  And the rest of my "data" partitions D, E, F,... L, M, are manually assigned identically by me using DISKMGMT, so that they are always are associated with the same physical partition no matter which of the two Windows environemnts I'm booted to.

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge there is no way to actually hardware-disable any physical storage device using a BIOS configuration.  If it's plugged into power, and it has a data cable running to it, you will be able to "see it" in Windows because it's connected to a SATA/NVMe controller.

Richar_Sargeant
Not applicable
Views: 596
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

You can set a disk offline/online once Windows has loaded by uisng PowerShell or Disk Manager; maybe that will meet your needs?

PowerShell: Set-Disk -Number 5 -IsOffline $True (obviously, substitute the correck disk number in your case)

Diskpart:

list disk
select disk 1
offline disk

The above will simply offline the second disk recognized by diskpart. This disk can be onlined at another time.

Next, you can save this file with a .txt file extension. With the command line open, you can run this script by typing:

diskpart /s C:\Users\User\Folder\filename.txt

Hope that helps!

Richard

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors