cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zsolutionsma
Paper Tape
Views: 505
Message 1 of 8

THINKVANTAGE Tools Unable to create rescue media or backup to second drive. Windows 7 Thinkpad p50

I have tried to create windows 7 rescue media, and also create/setup backup to my second drive on my thinkpad p50. I get the same error the the files cannot be found for both processes. Any info on how to reinstall or reset this to new so I can complete a backup?

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 492
Message 2 of 8

Re: THINKVANTAGE Tools Unable to create rescue media or backup to second drive. Windows 7 Thinkpad p

I assume you are talking about Lenovo Rescue and Recovery.

(1)Create Rescue media is available on the advanced RNR windows menu. When this media is booted(usually a CD), it will launch the standalone RNR work space. This launch is also available via hitting PF12 at boot up time.  Standalone RNR can restore RNR backups.

(2)Create Product Recovery CD/DVD set. This is the recovery side. It will reimage your HDD to factory install state. This is totally different than Rescue above. Due to license restrictions with Microsoft, you can only run this option 1 time, then the no files found message. 

(3)The Thinkvantage TOOLs panel is a launch pad to other software. It now launches you to Create Product Recovery software, which has been removed after 1 use [good or bad completion]

(4)Using RNR windows, advanced menu, you can set target location to Second.

=

All said, RNR is not supported after win 7. It is slow, sluggish, and subject to major failures at times. It was written 20 years ago as IBM Rapid Restore and recovery.

=

Use windows 7 backup. It is way faster. I use win 7 backup to 2nd HDD and external USB-HDD. Backup using the FULL system image option.  Also create a windows System Repair CD/USB to use during FULL system image restore.

Note:

win7 image backup will delete old backups at times. Thus you might be restricted to only 1 backup available on each device(2nd HDD.USB-HDD). The backup is contained in  SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION. I have to use System Repair CD to see how many backups I have on each device. Thus only take win7 image backups from a stable C drive.

You could back up to 2nd HDD 1 week, then USB-HDD the second week.

=

You could certainly use 3rd party backups, Acronis etc. RNR is not the way to go...not supported/updated since 2011 or so.

brhams
Punch Card
Views: 482
Message 3 of 8

Re: THINKVANTAGE Tools Unable to create rescue media or backup to second drive. Windows 7 Thinkpad p

about recovery disc! like someone said before you can perform this operation only 1Time  even is succsefully or not! try to use apropiate dvd rom ( never use RW-DVD-rom,in my case dont work w520 ) reinstall your OS again ! and afther that you may be able to create that Recovery disc! If this in not posible try to use some software to backup your actual image windows like > Aomei Backupper or EaseUS backup

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 475
Message 4 of 8

That is correct info. If your Lenovo OEM recovery partition is available on HDD, you can use PF12, boot time, to launch standalone RNR(rescue).  If standalone RNR finds a recovery partition on HDD, it will offer factory recovery on the advanced menu. Rescue media can launch Recovery if  recovery partition, found.. You will have to call the support center for recovery media ($50 US or so) if Rescue cant find Recovery partition.

=

Please explain current OS. Win 7 all well? Loss of Lenovo factory recovery?

If all well, use win7 backup. What worked in 2009 does not work in 2017 as expected.

Even if you did factory to 2009, windows updates will fail every which way. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 463
Message 5 of 8

Hello,

One of the options I had for recovery media when I got my ThinkPad P50 was to request a bootable USB flash drive with the recovery media on it.  I have used it a couple of times, and found it works well.  The instructions were on a pamphlet or slip of paper in the box my ThinkPad P50 came in.  Perhaps yours has something similar?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

zsolutionsma
Paper Tape
Views: 450
Message 6 of 8

Win 7 Pro. Factory installed via DOWNGRADE rights.
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 436
Message 7 of 8

Either or you have win7 pro. Where do you go from here? 2009 win7 pro. 20xx rescue  and recovery. 

Your system supports win 10.

http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad_P50

Choices you must decide. I would toss win7 and fight win 10.

zsolutionsma
Paper Tape
Views: 350
Message 8 of 8

Update: I filled a warranty claim. Next day I had a very crude box outside with nothing but plastic to protect the machine. Not willing to send a 3200 dollar machine through the mail to Kentucky with nothing but plastic to protect it I called. Long story short they sent a 3 DVD recovery set. I had it within 12 hours of speaking to someone. However the P50 doesn't have an optical drive I did purchase the thinkpad USB DVD/CD burner. I also took some advice and created a rescue disk and used windows 7 integrated backup and recovery function. Thanks to all.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors