Options

7 Posts

12-03-2008

Chicago Area

24 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 1 of 7

ThinkPad Intel WiFi 5300 Wireless Connection Drop Problem and Solution!!!

2008-12-05, 18:42 PM

ThinkPad Intel WiFi 5300 Wireless Connection Drop Problem and Solution!!!

I have read about Intel WiFi Link 5300 wireless connection drop problems on many different forums, including ThinkPads and many on other computer systems.  In the end, I was able to solve this problem using a simple approach documented below in the SOLUTION DESCRIPTION section.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

- Wireless connectivity works but drops connection after a few minutes, sometimes as quickly as just a few minutes, other times taking as long as 30+ minutes. 

- The ability to replicate the problem is consistent, in that it always stops working in a relatively short period of time.  However, it is impossible to predict how long before the connection drops, although it usually happens in less than 30 minutes, sometimes even quicker.

I received a W700 2 weeks ago, loaded with Windows XP Professional and the Intel WiFi Link 5300, etc.

This connection drop problem happened to me while running Win XP SP2 as well as SP3. 

Note: I've heard that SP3 vs. SP2 matters and I've read some forum entries that indicate rolling back to SP2 fixes the problem.  However, I've seen other evidence/posts that indicate it doesn't make a difference.  Regardless, I am running Win XP Professional SP3.

I tried updating to the latest Intel 5300 driver (12.1.2.1) alone and the problem did not go away. 

I also tried updating multiple drivers via the Lenovo site. 

The latest Intel WiFi Link 5300/5100 drivers available on the Intel website are newer than those found on the Lenovo support and download site.

In the end, a posting on several forums by jposner led me down the right path, which was to update my ThinkPad with three things: (1) Intel WiFi Link 5300 driver (2) Intel WiFi Link PROSet software  (3) Latest ThinkVantage Access Connections

The specifics of these three parts of the solution are described below in the "SOLUTION DESCRIPTION" section.

SOLUTION DESCRIPTION:

1) Update Intel® PRO/Wireless and WiFi Link 5300/5100 Drivers-Only (12.1.2.1)

AND

2) Update Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility (12.1.2.0)

using one of the following links:

http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/5300_5100/index.htm
(Multiple downloads for different Operating Systems)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=3062&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!
(XP Specific)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=3062&OSFullName=Windows
(XP 32/64 & Vista 32/64)

3) Update ThinkVantage Access Connections V5.0.2

Use Lenovo Downloads and Drivers for your model ThinkPad, via the following link:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do

The combination of ALL three of these has fixed my wireless connection drop problem, which would happen anywhere from 3 minutes to 30+ minutes after an initial wireless connection.  I have run for days now without a wireless connection drop, across 802.11a/b/g connections.

POTENTIALLY IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL DETAILS:

I also found it useful to configure the Intel WiFi 5300 Wireless Driver with the following details:

(This is based on reading many other posts across many internet Wireless 5300 & ThinkPad forums)

o Power Management "Highest" and Roaming Aggressiveness "Lowest"

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools >  Computer Management > Device Manager >  Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN Properties > Advanced Tab

o Power Management "Highest"

o Roaming Aggressiveness "Lowest"

o Power Saver mode off (don't let Thinkpad/Windows Power Management turn wireless off to save power)

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools >  Computer Management > Device Manager >  Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN Properties > Power Management Tab

o Un-Check "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

o ThinkVantage Access Connections > Manage > Edit Profile for your connection > "Wireless Settings" Tab

o 5. Advanced Configuration "Settings" button > "Power save mode:" >  "Low (best network performance)"

Please feel free to comment here or email me with questions.  

P.S. I am extremely happy and impressed with my ThinkPad W700 > It is FAAAAST, awesome display, great drive bays, and much much more...
         This W700 system totally ROCKS!!! (especially now that my WiFi is rock solid:-)

Options

1 Posts

05-03-2009

Oklahoma

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: ThinkPad Intel WiFi 5300 Wireless Connection Drop Problem and Solution!!!

2009-05-03, 6:57 AM
Thank you wrhahn.. this was incredibly helpful as I am suffering from the same problem right now.  I just got my T500 in the mail about a week ago and have absolutely loved it .. minus intel WiFi link 5300 dropping my connection so much.. it just started today. I am not exactly a computer buff though .. do you have links on where i can get the drivers for vista and how do i install them?  I know if might sound like a stupid question but hopefully you can help me out.. this think is killing me.. i enable the WiFi radio.. i am then able to connect .. then it just turns off all the sudden, and before i can connect again i have to enable it again.  i changed all the settings you listed below, but i havent installed any drivers yet.. if you could help me out with that a little i would greatly grrrrreatly appreciate it!
Options

19 Posts

04-06-2009

Greenville, SC

26 Signins

231 Page Views

• Views: 231
  • Message 3 of 7

2009-05-07, 20:59 PM
Warhahn is right on the procedure...or at least for me it also worked. You can find the drivers on the Lenovo site under support. it will aske you model number and other information then you will see the list of drivers/software. One other thing, make sure you read the "readme" files associated with each update. Start with the Access Connections and make sure you update each driver it says must be in place first! Re-boot after each update. Also I updated the noted drivers even though I did have the referenced version of the driver, just overwrite. Do this in the order listed then load the Access connection software and finally the W5300 driver. It may ask you to remove a previous version before you load the new one. Do this via "control Pannel>> Programs & Features>>remove program. It worked great for me. The first time I did not reload every preequisit driver because it said I had the correct version and it did not work. Do every step noted in the "readme" file and hopefully it will work. Took me about an hour I think. Good luck.
Options

1 Posts

06-07-2011

New Delhi

7 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 4 of 7

2011-06-07, 11:06 AM

After a month of brainstorming i realised that the wifi connection dropped only while I browsed and there were no breaks during file downloads. It struck to me that the problem must be related to the wifi connection being active or idle at any point of time. It's funny to see that the solution was just a couple of clicks away! 

Finally, here is what the solution to the problem was on my Thinkpad L412...

1) Just open lenovo access connections

2) Go to advanced view

3) Tools> Global Settings

4) Uncheck "Allow wireless LAN radio to be turned off when inactive"

THIS ONE OPTION IN LENOVO ACCESS CONNECTIONS(WHICH WAS CHECKED BY DEFAULT) GAVE ME INNUMERABLE MOMENTS OF FRUSTATION!

Options

2 Posts

01-11-2013

antwerpen

11 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 5 of 7

2013-01-11, 0:38 AM

hey there

i had this problem for a longer period untill i found the solution i believe because what you said seems to be a problem solver, but the only problem with me is i cannot uncheck that bar; it seems to be permanently enabled; i would appreciate it if you understand the problem and help me out;

thanx

Options

2 Posts

01-11-2013

antwerpen

11 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 6 of 7

2013-01-11, 0:44 AM

i couldn`t uncheck means its inactive; you might know the answer;

thanx again

Options

1 Posts

01-10-2011

Verona, WI USA

4 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 7 of 7

2013-04-29, 12:56 PM

My laptop's wireless was, repeat was, dropping all the time. Had to restart laptop. Did 2 things that are EZ; either one of which may have fixed problem. Give them a try:

1. I went to control panel, system, device manager (like in good ol days) and looked at Wireless Adapter. I checked the "Driver" tab to see if there was an updated driver, there was, and updated same.

2. Then look at Power Management tab, the 1st box is probably checked and the description is: Allow the computer to turn off ... to save power. Unclick this tab

Like I say, I haven't had any problems in weeks now

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save