cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TechnoCaveman
Paper Tape
Views: 939
Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad P1 (20MD) 64Bit Win 10 & Lenovo Vantage show P! plugged in but battery not charging.

After reading different posts, tryint 135W and smaller 42W Lenovo charger, multiple reboots, updating drivers, downloading Lenovo Vantage & PowerMgr.exe, updating two drivers and multiple reboots I'm down to 13% battery.

Li polymer batery (FRU 01AY969) shows good with firmware Ver 0006-0042-0100-0003.
Battery shows wear level 1% and 14.907 voltage based on program HW monitor.
Battery did charge twice using 135W Lenovo charger, but then nothing. Charger running laptop now.

Month old P1 (20md) running 64 bit Win 10. No previous OS nor user. Should still have the shipping box.
User has loaded software and needs it for work.
Laptop not in airplane mode, has been turned on and off to reset. Battery Reset tries to start but then stops.
-- PowerMgr can not load. Ran installer and "chargeThreshold on 80"  as an administrator with admin privliges (confirmed by the running of other tasks and programs requiring admin status) Error msg "Can not connect to base module (1722) . Yes PowerMgr.exe not showing as a service nor program.
Downloaded the 64 bit PowerMgr.exe Ver 1.67.14.04 from Lenovo but it would not install. Said I needed 64 bit version. Honest.
This being a new laptop for work, I do not want to download too many more programs.
I tried putting in a MTS ticket in the new MTSA system. Yea had to enter my email address for the fourth (4)th time but no luck.

I'm reaching out the internet hoping the answer is interesting and not something simple.

TechnoCaveman
Paper Tape
Views: 872
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad P1 (20MD) 64Bit Win 10 & Lenovo Vantage show P1 plugged in but battery not charging

Kudos to Erik - solution for me was to use a paper clip in the reset hole on the back center of the P1. 
     The factory reset hole is *not* what we thought to use because it is a factory reset. 
     Procedure. 

1) Close all programs and shut down

2)  Unplug all cables include power cable. 

3)  Un bend part of a small paperclip.

4) Turn the P1 upside down and locate the screw in the center of the back.

5) Insert the straight part into the hole next to the center screw. Yea it can be hard to see.

6) Feel for the rubber buttton inside to depress and release back. 

7) turn the P1 right side up and plug in the pwer connector.

8) Press the power button and log on to check that the battery is charging. Should be 1% every min or so.

We did not Erik, or Eric's, last name but we thank him. 

TechnoCaveman
Paper Tape
Views: 835
Message 3 of 5

Re: ThinkPad P1 (20MD) 64Bit Win 10 & Lenovo Vantage show P1 plugged in but battery not charging

Update - using the factory reset could be a one time fix. 
  Same problem retured when I used the OEM 135W charger at home. Will try the factory reset again and update the blog. 

84Percent.jpg

TechnoCaveman
Paper Tape
Views: 776
Message 4 of 5

Final update: User error on the last "not charging"  I had the lower charge setting at 40%. Once I set it for 90% the battery charged. 
  Over the weekend I started feeling confident the issues is really fixed. 

Yes one can use a smaller charger, though I'd like to have a full size or larger backup. 
   Also the 2.95 CPU is running at a full 4Ghz when only a few cores are active. This is *VERY* helpful running single threaded tasks that can not be split into multiple parallel executions. Earlier the CPU would conserve power and run at 1Ghz when idle (good) or running just two cores (very frustrating)   Why?  At 1Ghz the program ran for seven min instead of two. Two min execution due to disk I/O and file reading. It was frustrating knowing the job could run faster but not being able to do *anything* about it.

Notice how Lenovo Vantage shows 95% full, while Windows shows 5% empty on the battery. Laptop set to charge at 90% and stop at 95% as I never know when I will need the battery for a presentation or work away from the charger. 

BatteryNew.PNG

ve2mrx
Token Ring
Views: 274
Message 5 of 5

Hi TechnoCaveman,

I just read your post and I think the reason your CPU activates only two cores at times might be due to CPU Core parking. 

A good place to read about it is on https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

The author of Park Control has a whole suite of tools to help optimize the CPU to your workloads. Those I use are Park Control, and either CPU Balance or Process Lasso. CPU Balance is simpler, good for most users. They are in the spirit of shareware, they are usable for free with benefits for paid licences.

I know Lenovo has a tool to optimize the machine to workloads, but I haven't had a chance to try it. I stuck with Bitsum's tools because I already have licences and I know them, but with my P52 on its way, I will look at Lenovo's tool while setting it up.

I hope it helps,

Martin

I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
P52 I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors