Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DroidCue
Fanfold Paper
Views: 715
Message 1 of 17

ThinkPad P1 fail to power-on after updating to BIOS ver 1.23

I did update BIOS ver. 1.23 which was release yesterday, after the update was successful the system failed to power on. The screen is always black. Laptop sometimes react to "Fn" buttons with some beeps. I've tried disconnecting CMOS battery, but that didn't help. As soon as I press power button the PC turns on, but stays with the black screen for few seconds and powers off. If I keep powering on as soon as it powers off in 10-20 attempts it powers on and boots. But after boot if I reboot the laptop or put it to sleep it fails to power on again. Then again I need to repeat the same power on as soon as it powers off and in next 10-20 attempts it powers on and boots again. Have recorded this in a video, please watch it and let me know if there is any fix for it. https://youtu.be/NeuUgsQp28Y Technically you cannot call it dead also as it powers on once in approx 20 attempts. I also managed to get in to bios in one attempt when it powered on successfully (image attached). Lost faith in Lenovo as a brand, this is my 1st Lenovo Laptop
jeremiahs
Punch Card
Views: 685
Message 2 of 17

Re: ThinkPad P1 fail to power-on after updating to BIOS ver 1.23

Hey Lenovo,

Does this make it three times that the BIOS for the X1E/P1 has been screwed up? I have not updated my unit yet, I'm glad I saw this post before I did, but please for the love of god, QC your BIOS before you release it to the public.

ColdZero
Paper Tape
Views: 682
Message 3 of 17

Me too. I just downloaded the update but didn't install it.! I was asking myself why I shouldn't take a look over the forum before attemping to do it!. 

Guru
Views: 651
Message 4 of 17

As a reference point, I did install 1.23 yesterday and have not experienced any issues as a result. One of the problems that I have had with the P1 and Windows 10 1903 was that the device manager kept refreshing over and over. The ECP update as a part of the installation cured that problem.

Now for your issue. Have you tried to reset the system using the power reset button accessible via a small hole in the bottom cover with a paper clip?  Usually, this is enough to break the system out of non-responsive state. Try this and then attach the A/C power supply to the system. See if it now powers on. If you can get into the BIOS again, set the system to defaults, save and exit.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, UHD 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.24,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
jeremiahs
Punch Card
Views: 645
Message 5 of 17

ECP update?

I just read through the readme and saw that there is indeed an ECP update in this version, looks like we're going from 1.10 to 1.11.

I'm still weary of updating to 1.23 until it's confirmed that the BIOS is indeed not bricking units like in previous versions.

DroidCue
Fanfold Paper
Views: 613
Message 6 of 17

@harrisb wrote:

As a reference point, I did install 1.23 yesterday and have not experienced any issues as a result. One of the problems that I have had with the P1 and Windows 10 1903 was that the device manager kept refreshing over and over. The ECP update as a part of the installation cured that problem.

Now for your issue. Have you tried to reset the system using the power reset button accessible via a small hole in the bottom cover with a paper clip?  Usually, this is enough to break the system out of non-responsive state. Try this and then attach the A/C power supply to the system. See if it now powers on. If you can get into the BIOS again, set the system to defaults, save and exit.

I did try the reset button but that did not help the power-on behavior remains the same. Looking for some statement from Lenovo on this, if they monitor these forums Now since you confirmed that you did not face any problem after upgrading to this new release I am wondering if re-patching the same BIOS may help or not. By any chance do you know how to re-patch the same BIOS again. As I try to do it whenever it boots up it says it is already patched with the same version. I even tried the updating via bootable USB and does not helps either. I understand that downgrade is not possible as ECP is also upgraded to 1.11. Spent approx $2400 on this machine and can't see my money getting wasted.
Guru
Views: 593
Message 7 of 17

When you went into the BIOS setup, did you set the DEFAULT parameters, saved and exitted? Usually this clears any firmware issues.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, UHD 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
DroidCue
Fanfold Paper
Views: 581
Message 8 of 17

@harrisb wrote:

When you went into the BIOS setup, did you set the DEFAULT parameters, saved and exitted? Usually this clears any firmware issues.

I did press F9 in all possible menus and on 'Restart' tab I did Load Setup Defaults / - OS Optimized Defaults to Enable but that is also not helping 

DroidCue
Fanfold Paper
Views: 556
Message 9 of 17

@Lenovo

Please provide any assistance or guidance, is there a way to re-patch the same BIOS again?

Guru
Views: 549
Message 10 of 17

@DroidCue wrote:

@harrisb wrote:

I did press F9 in all possible menus and on 'Restart' tab I did Load Setup Defaults / - OS Optimized Defaults to Enable but that is also not helping 

You can roll back the BIOS update using the following procedure:

1. Enter Setup

2. Go to SECURITY

3. Select UEFI BIOS UPDATE OPTION

4. Change SECURE ROLLBACK PREVENTION from ENABLED to DISABLED

5. Save and Exit

Reboot the system.

Apply the previous BIOS file (1.21)

You should now be rolled back to the previous BIOS level. If that has alleviated the power-on issue, then you can either stay at that level or again update the system to 1.23.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors