10-14-2016 06:03 AM
I have Lenovo ThinkPad P50, and coming from Dell, two features that I miss the most:
1. disable wireless connection automatically upon wired connection
2. disable touchpad upon usb mouse connection
Any one know if Lenovo ThinkPad supports these?
10-14-2016 09:23 AM - edited 10-14-2016 10:40 AM
With Wireless on, my P50 will automatically revert to wired connection when the Ethernet port is active:
- Over Wi-Fi: 35 Mbps UpL / 46 Mbps DnL
- Over Ethernet: 81 Mbps UpL / 90 Mbps DnL
You can manually enable/disable the Wi-Fi radio with Fn+F8
I don't use the touch pad, so, I don't know. Maybe there's a BIOS option.
10-14-2016 10:13 AM
Thanks for the reply,
1. with wireless on, my P50 does not automatically revert to wired connection when the Ethernet port is active. I have to manually disable the wireless using Fn-F8. I have to do this at work, between meetings, and when I go home. The key word is "automatically", like Dell does it, so you can forget about the connection. It will just connect which ever network is available.
2. there may be an option in the biod to complete disable the touchpad, but again in here is "automatically" disable touchpad only when usb mouse is connected. If not, the touchpad is enabled. Another miss from Dell.
10-14-2016 10:28 AM - edited 10-14-2016 10:41 AM
My P50 does automatically switches between Wi-Fi / Ethernet when at home or at the office (my W520 didn't)
If yours doesn't, maybe you have an incorrect setting somewhere.
10-17-2016 11:39 AM
For #1, this feature is built into Win10, but not Win7. For Win7 we have a small stand-alone utility which can do it. So can you please clarify which OS you are using?
For #2, we don't have this.
10-17-2016 09:32 PM
10-18-2016 05:09 AM
For #1, here is a tool (for Win7 only) that will toggle WiFi on/off depending on whether ethernet is connected.
You can verify this tool comes from Lenovo by looking at the digital signature.
There are some important considerations for this tool:
1. Win7 only (not Win8/Win8.1/Win10)
2. proper hotkeys version must be installed
3. proper Power Management driver version must be installed
4. Access Connections must NOT be installed