Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guppy_
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,088
Message 1 of 8

ThinkPad P50 keyboard refresh?

I bought my P50 in March of 2016. I've been very happy with my purchase overall, the only disappointment has been the low key-rollover property of the built-in keyboard. I am a programmer/game developer, and it is important for me to have a keyboard that supports multiple simultaneous keystrokes. After taking ownership, I found that the keyboard drops strokes with as few as 2 keys already held down, which makes it pretty useless for gaming.  I work around this by plugging in a USB keyboard when I need to test my game projects.

At the time I purchased, there was only one option for the keyboard. Today, I was browsing the Lenovo online store, and noticed that there's now an option for a backlit keyboard in addition to the standard non-backlit keyboard.  Under "Help Me Decide" it says:

Lenovo has refreshed the keyset on all ThinkPad laptops, outfitting them with the ThinkPad Precision Keyboard.

This new keyset allows a more comfortable, fluid and accurate typing experience with it's slate of individually rounded, spacious, and low-set keys. The ThinkPad Precision Keyboard simultaneously delivers a modern look and feel to your ThinkPad.

*Select models are available with a backlit keyset as standard, or as an optional upgrade.
*Most 15.6" models come standard with full keyboard including dedicated number pad.

I am wondering if this refreshed keyboard means a  higher rollover. I tried asking the sales support chat, but they were unable to tell me the rollover property of the current keyboard.  Does anyone know? 

Phil__C
Token Ring
Views: 1,035
Message 2 of 8

Re: ThinkPad P50 keyboard refresh?

I turn the AIDA64 sensor panel display on and off with three-key combinations.  Experiments found that five-key combinations also work, e.g. Ctrl+Shift+Win+Alt+Z.

Not sure if that helps you.  I have the backlit keyboard.  My P50 was delivered in November.

p600
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,030
Message 3 of 8

5 keys like Ctrl+Shift+Win+Alt+X are no problem with most keyboards, even the cheapest ones.

What happens if you press Q+W+S+A at the same time?

guppy_
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,026
Message 4 of 8

3-key combinations can work, just not reliably.

Hold down both SHIFT keys, and type out the alphabet. Do you see any letters missing?

Phil__C
Token Ring
Views: 1,015
Message 5 of 8

QWSA gives nothing but a beep.

Both shift keys + alpha:  Many work, but some refuse to work at all.  As the OP said -- unreliable!

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 956
Message 6 of 8

Sounds like your work requires a NKRO board and i'm sure my p50 backlit is not that. It is not even very good at anti-ghosting.

I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, X220T, P50 4K (sold), X1C5
guppy_
Fanfold Paper
Views: 931
Message 7 of 8

Yes, NKRO would be ideal.  I think I could probably live with even 5- or 6KRO.  Unfortunately, my keyboard isn't even that; when playing a game that uses the Arrow keys for controls, holding down any two of the arrow keys means that any other keys that I might need to use in the game are likely to not work. It's quite terrible, and so as a workaround I'm forced to carry a USB keyboard, which is awkward.  An NKRO option for the built-in keyboard, if it were available, would be well worth paying extra for.

Bazinger
SCSI Port
Views: 875
Message 8 of 8

Woah! I wasn't even worried about this issue, but out of curiosity I tried what you said about pressing both SHIFT keys and typing the alphabet. What I got is pretty crappy:

QWERUIOP
ASDFGHJKL
BN

(This is on a 2-month-old P70)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors