Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
afrowuk
What's DOS?
Views: 1,197
Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad P50 with Samsung NVMe 950 Pro & Samsung Magican

I have two Samsung NVMe 950 Pro (MZVKV512) that came preinstalled in a Lenovo ThinkPad P50 running Windows 10 x64. The Samsung Magician (latest v4.9.6) software does not detect the drives as Samsung Brand SSDs and therefore OS Optimization is unavailable (the only option is to run a benchmark). Samsung Magician supports this SSD as I can see users in other forums using the software on their systems (not necessarily Lenovo). I have also installed the Samsung NVMe Controller driver and this is showing in Device Manager. There are no system updates available and UEFI BIOS is up to date (version from the 4th May).

Any ideas?

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,175
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkPad P50 with Samsung NVMe 950 Pro & Samsung Magican

Are you sure those were 950 Pro's that came preinstalled?  I thought Lenovo was using OEM SM951, not retail 950 Pro?

Anyway, I don't believe Magician yet supports NVMe for (1) OS optimization, nor (2) rapid-mode.  The only thing it does currently support for NVMe is "over provisioning".

While Magician supports the above items for standard SSD (e.g. 850 Pro 2.5" SSD), this is not the case (yet, anyway) for NVMe.  You now have to do your own Windows "tweaks" manually for NVMe if, for example, you had cloned Windows from a HDD spinner install onto NVMe, to change any HDD-specific settings in Windows to the SSD-specific preferred values.

But if your Win10 system was installed from scratch onto these NVMe drives, I would say there's no need for any further "OS optimzation" by Magician.  And besides, you can always manually inspect those settings yourself and decide if you want to change them.  You don't really need Magician.

The Internet has a number of generally in-agreement (and argued against as unnecessary) "SSD-optimized Windows tweaks" recipes, which are sure to kick up lots of discussion if you mention them.

Guru
Views: 1,164
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkPad P50 with Samsung NVMe 950 Pro & Samsung Magican

@afrowuk wrote:

I have two Samsung NVMe 950 Pro (MZVKV512) that came preinstalled in a Lenovo ThinkPad P50 running Windows 10 x64. The Samsung Magician (latest v4.9.6) software does not detect the drives as Samsung Brand SSDs and therefore OS Optimization is unavailable (the only option is to run a benchmark). Samsung Magician supports this SSD as I can see users in other forums using the software on their systems (not necessarily Lenovo). I have also installed the Samsung NVMe Controller driver and this is showing in Device Manager. There are no system updates available and UEFI BIOS is up to date (version from the 4th May).

Any ideas?

You have the Samsung SM951 installed in your system per the model number that you've supplied.

SM951.JPG

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.28, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.18,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T460s, BIOS 1.20, WQHD display, 20GB RAM, I7-6600U, Samsung PM961 1TB PCIe-NVMe SSD, EM7455 WWAN
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors