Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gemini132
Punch Card
Views: 688
Message 1 of 7

ThinkPad P51 and P71 - Lifting RAM limitation from 64GB to 128GB

Hi

Is it possible for the Lenovo technical support team to advise whether through a BIOS update could be possible to lift the ram limitation on the P51 and P71 which as per the technical specs sheet is 64GB, having looked and investigated through different sites and forums with owners of the previous ThinkPad version (P51 and P71) I couldn't find any information whether the P51 and P71 can take more than 64GB ram but recently I conducted the test myself and I bought 2 of the Samsung 32GB DDR4 SODIMM 2666 MHz Laptop Memory Module/Stick and installed them myself on my P51 and I can successfully confirmed that these new Samsung modules work perfectly on the P51, however I noticed that after installing them on the BIOS the total RAM reported is 64GB but when logging into the OS (Windows 10) I can see that the system is reporting 72GB installed (I had an 8GB module installed previously) and on the task manager shows also as well 72GB but only usable 64GB.

This makes me to believe that is possible to have this ram limitation lifted on the P51 and P71 maybe through a BIOS update, and I mentioned this because looking at a BIOS update done on the latest P52 and P72, on this particular BIOS update as per shown below there was a fix on those models where a fix was applied to address an issue with memory capacity show incorrect.

This is the full list of fixes on that update (the fix in mentioned is highlighted on bold)
<1.10>
UEFI: 1.10 / ECP: 1.09
- (New) Added support of ThinkPad P72 (Machine types: 20MB, 20MC)
- (New) Updated the Video BIOS and the GOP driver.
- (New) Updated the CPU microcode.
- (New) Support Dolby Vision function on UHD panel.
- (New) Updated E-Labeling module to version 2.02.1.3.
- (New) Support TPM firmware Update by utility.
- (New) Updated the Diagnostics module to version 04.00.001.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where BIOS POST might display the error message ""1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in - Power off and remove the network card (8086/7360/0000/0000).""
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where system can't connect by Serial Over LAN function.
- (Fix) Fixed memory capacity show incorrect when attached 64GB above memory.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where BIOS POST might display the error message ""Boot Manager recover from an error.""
- (Fix) Fixed an intermittent issue that Thunderbolt doesn't work when resume from sleep state.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where audio function might not work as expected.

So according to this I will assume that the same fix could be applied to the P51 and P71 considering these models have also 4 memory slots as per the P52 and P72. Could Lenovo technical team confirm if this change/fix can be applied on the previous models of the P series.

Bear in mind that generation of CPUs used on the P51, P71, P52 and P72 all of the them as per the specs sheet on intel website they all support a maximum memory size of up to 64GB and we all know that the memory controller on modern CPU is now embedded on the CPU itself.

Find attached a screen shot of the current ram configuration being reported on my P51.

Thanks,

CouCou143
What's DOS?
Views: 339
Message 2 of 7

Re: ThinkPad P51 and P71 - Lifting RAM limitation from 64GB to 128GB

wow , NO response from Lenovo support so far.

thats how lenovo pick the issues on this forum??

gemini132
Punch Card
Views: 325
Message 3 of 7

Yup, unfortunately that's how it is with Lenovo. When they are offering products, you are at the top but after you have bought from them they put you at the bottom. I recently had an awful experience where my screen on the P51 was flickering, Lenovo sent me the brand new one screen but at the end I ended up replacing the screen myself due the engineer that was supposed to come to my place and do this work never showed.

Because of this I am leaning to buy a Dell or HP, I know every company has its good and bad points but I refuse to believe that this work of lifting the RAM limitation on the P51 (so it can take more than 64GB) can't be done. I even also contacted Lenovo on twitter but is like talking to a service desk first line team, they don't know much and their response at that time was that the P51 only supported 64GB RAM based on the specs sheet. 

But, looking at the situation with the P52 where initially users that installed more than 64GB the system didn't recognised more than that, is when Lenovo through a BIOS update (v1.10) allow to use more than 64GB so users that wanted to installed 128GB would be able to use it.

So, if this work could be done on the P52 why not on the P51 considering that both support up to 4 memory slots.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 308
Message 4 of 7

What I understand is that the Intel spec says 64GB is the limit.  When the 32GB SODIMMs started to become available, Lenovo and Intel worked out a way that the larger memory size could be supported on Lenovo's 8th gen (P52, P72, etc.) and higher machines, Intel's then-current product.  There was no Intel suport to make the same changes on any earlier CPUs.  

I was not involved in any of the discussions so my understanding is, at best, 2nd hand.  Also I do not speak for Lenovo or Intel. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
gemini132
Punch Card
Views: 303
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the update

jsconsultancy
Paper Tape
Views: 107
Message 6 of 7

I have the same problem with P50. Here is the thing, using the same CPU, other laptop has been able to upgrade. As far as it's concern, both Windows and CPU-Z, etc detects that the total memory is 128GB, so it's really just a setting on the bios that's preventing us from using 128GB. 

gemini132
Punch Card
Views: 103
Message 7 of 7

I totally agree, the question is will Lenovo do this in the near future for the previous version of the P series (P51, P71, P50 and P70) to allow that 128GB ram can be used by the system considering that those models also have 4 memory slots.

Regards, 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors