cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hegxiten
Paper Tape
Views: 166
Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad P52 20M9 frequently shuts off when plugged in without battery, running on Airplane Mode

I just purchased a ThinkPad P52 20M9 with an Intel 660p 1GB SSD running. 

Since I use mostly when AC is plugged in, I wanted to save the battery by detaching it. My AC outlet is a normal home outlet that supports at least 1000Watts. Also I turned on Airplane Mode to just have a taste. And then all starts to behave weird:

When I removed the battery, the P52 boots and windows could be logged in. However it only lasts seconds and then shuts off. 

When I turn off the Airplane Mode, turning on without battery would behave well - nothing wrong would happen. However, turning on Airplane Mode in Lenovo Vintage without a battery would 100% shut off the computer immediately. 

What is wrong with this? Isn't it supposed to run perfectly without battery attached?

Please help.

Guru
Views: 149
Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkPad P52 20M9 frequently shuts off when plugged in without battery, running on Airplane Mode

Welcome to the forum.

See below post about airplane ,mode.  I know you have a P52 but airplane mode still applies.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P70-Airplane-mode-shuts-off-AC-adapter/t...

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 133
Message 3 of 4

Re: ThinkPad P52 20M9 frequently shuts off when plugged in without battery, running on Airplane Mode

You need more watts than what is put out by an airplane source.  In any case, I have always believed that any machine runs at a somewhat slower speed when there is no battery inserted,  A modern laptop will not keep charging after the battery is charged,  Thresholds can also be set in Lenovo Vantage.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ve2mrx
802.11n
Views: 78
Message 4 of 4

To add to richk's answer :

Set the battery thresholds to Charge below 40% but not higher than 50%. Those thresholds where recommended by a Lenovo employee on this forum for people always plugged in.

The battery will be there to stabilize the power system but not continually charged. The battery icon will indicate "Plugged in, not charging".

Martin

I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
P52 I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors