Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LH71
Paper Tape
Views: 806
Message 1 of 11

ThinkPad P52 Mobile Workstation - Extremely long boot cycle

Just received a new P52 Mobile workstation with the following configuration: 

Lenovo P52 Workstation Laptop - Xeon E-2176M Processor, 80GB (32GB+32GB+8GB+8GB),

512GB PCIe SSD (boot drive), 2nd 1TB PCIe SSD added for storage, NVIDIA Quadro P2000 4GB, 15.6"4K (3840x2160), IPS,

Multi-Touch Display, 6-Cell Batt, 170W AC, WIN 10 PRO for Workstations.

From the moment I press the power button, until I can see a windows login (basically the Red Lenovo screen is displayed with a spinning circle) is 2 minutes and 32 seconds.  This seems like forever compared to other laptops I have had with large amounts of RAM, and SSD drives.  I have tried changing boot options, with no luck.  I have updated all drivers, software, etc.  and still have this issue.    Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas anyone has.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 782
Message 2 of 11

Re: ThinkPad P52 Mobile Workstation - Extremely long boot cycle

what is the boot order?  Do you/did you ever authenticate via a domain controller?  

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
LH71
Paper Tape
Views: 779
Message 3 of 11

We have played with the boot order in the BIOS, and all of the combinations we have tried thus far, have made zero difference.   Yes, I have authenticated via domain controller during setup, and have made sure all of the testing we have done so far has been with being physicaly connected to the network.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 777
Message 4 of 11

If there is a domain controller involved, that is always my first guess - that the controller response times out and you authenticate using cached credentials locally.  Open an elevated command prompt and type the following:    set logonserver

That will tell you where you are being authenticated.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

LH71
Paper Tape
Views: 758
Message 5 of 11

Our local IT folks played around with that, and it appears that the domain controller is not the case based on what they saw when tested, etc.  Any other ideas?  

One of our IT team suggested I remove me second SSD drive, and see if it speeds up, because they are currently experiancing an issue with other P52's with second SSD drives, that Windows recognizes the drive, and displays it, but will not allow data to be written to it. Thankfully I dont have that issue, my system sees the second drive, and allows me to read/write just fine.  So my next test is going to be to remove my second SSD and see if I get a faster boot.

LH71
Paper Tape
Views: 755
Message 6 of 11

Starting to wonder if its not a combination of a couple of things.  I turned on the diagnostics during boot, and it quickly books, I dont see the Lenovo screen now, but I get a blue Windows icon on the screen for again, 2 minutes and 32 seconds.  Wondering would bitlocker require this much time?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 732
Message 7 of 11

no.  bitlocker is quick.  Regarding the command prompt I talked about: What did it say?

Rich

Mr_Natural
Fanfold Paper
Views: 627
Message 8 of 11

I can't really say what your problem is here but one thing about your system stood out to me.  I was under the impression that the Xeon processor models were limited to 64gb ram and you are running 80.  Don't know if that's related here but did you add the 32gb sodimms AFTER purchase?  I just purchased a model with 128gb and had to go with the I7 to get it.  It also had to be ordered from Lenovo for the 128gb to work,  I think they modify the memory controller.  So you cant order a smaller amount and add ram to get over 64gb afterwards.  See my and other posts about this on this forum.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 599
Message 9 of 11

I think Intel's official position is that 32GB DIMM modules don't exist.  They say that 64GB is the limit on the I7 and the Xeon used in the P52, but the reality is different.  (BTW, Intel had a similar position when 16GB DIMMs came out and worked on 5th generation Core processors.)  People have had trouble adding aftermarket 32GB GB DIMMs to exceed 64GB, but Lenovo was able to get changes to the memory controller so that the sell systems of up to 128GB with eithe the I7 or the Xeon CPU.  I believe the 32GB DIMMs Lenovo uses are re-branded Samsung, but I don't know if they are standard chips.  I have no experience trying to add aftermarket chips and I believe 32GB DIMMs with ECC DO NOT EXIST. I believe the primary reason one would pay extra for a Xeon is that it supports ECC and the buyer must have some reason ECC was necessary.

Rich

Mr_Natural
Fanfold Paper
Views: 539
Message 10 of 11

Rich, when I ordered my P52 about a month ago 128gb was not available with the Xeon, that was a maximum of 64gb. This may be due to the ECC issue you are talking about, but I have heard people say that the Xeon will run with nonECC memory.  Perhaps I'm mistaken about this but I wondered why 128 wasn't offered like the I7.  Also I noticed that one possible configuration (for the I7) was two 32gb dimms.  Since there are four ram slots on the P52, I assumed that was offered so that you could order 64gb now and add more later. But adding past 64gb evidently doesn't work without that modification of the controller. And neither Lenovo or anyone else is releasing that particular info for anyone to do it themselves. So at the moment if you want anything more than 64gb then you have to order it from them initially. That's my understanding anyway. Can't say that I like it but that seems to be the way it is.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors