Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenardg
802.11n
Views: 935
Message 1 of 18

ThinkPad P52 NVIDIA display driver installation issue

Hello fellow P52 owners!

I have a problem installing the latest NVIDIA drivers provided by Lenovo (https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-P-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...)

If I run the installation package that you can download from above, it will go through, prompt you to restart. After the restart, the NVIDIA driver version is unchanged, the Intel driver does get updated. I am now on 24.21.13.9921 NVIDIA driver version, this package was supposed to update that to 25.21.14.1672.

Turns out, the installation package runs the NVIDIA installer in silent mode (using a batch file), and ignores any errors it throws, and just silently continues. If you run the installer manually without the -s switch, it will show the following error:

image.png

My P52 has the following specs:

i7-8850H and NVIDIA P3200 card, FHD screen, Windows 10 version 1809 (17763, boths builds .168 and .194 same result)

I also tried another P52, with the same results:

i7-8850H and NVIDIA P3200 card, 4K+touch screen, Windows 10 version 1803.

Any other P52 owners willing to try the installation and reporting back how it goes? 

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
lulzim
Paper Tape
Views: 808
Message 2 of 18

Re: ThinkPad P52 NVIDIA display driver installation issue

I am having the same issue.
I have the exact same configuration as you.
Tried to install it multiple times but nothing happens.

How did you try to install it without the silent switch? Did you download the file or just find where it is stored locally?
jetownsend
Fanfold Paper
Views: 720
Message 3 of 18

I've tried the installation both from the Lenovo app and by downloading the patch from Drivers & Software.  Both installations require me to reboot and after the reboot it's still running the 9/4/2018 patch.

lulzim
Paper Tape
Views: 717
Message 4 of 18

I downloaded the driver from nvidia, it worked and Lenovo Vantage is not showing the update anymore
techdiva
Paper Tape
Views: 641
Message 5 of 18

I have the exact same problem with my P72. I tried going to Nvidia to download after not having worked  from lenovo driver site and Lenovo Vantage and still no success. 

I chatted with Lenovo support and they said it is a software issue and referred me to software support where the person said I have to pay to get a solution. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 613
Message 6 of 18

Just in passing, I just the other day had the exact same problem where I was trying to install the NVidia WHQL driver (downloaded from the NVidia site, not from Lenovo) for a new M920t machine into which I'd added a Gigabyte GTX 1050ti card.

Turns out I'd accidentally downloaded the 32-bit version of the driver by mistake, and of course it IS incompatible with the 64-bit Win10 I was running.

Once I downloaded the correct 64-bit driver version it now installed just fine.

Is it possible you somehow have the 32-bit version for the P52?

Are you running "hybrid graphics" or "discrete graphics"?  I'd give the latest NVidia version of the driver a shot on your P52, to see if that installs successfully.  I run my W530 and P50 in "discrete graphics" and have always just ignored the Lenovo Optimus packages (since there's no need for an Intel driver anyway) and gone with the latest retail WHQL version for Quadro (Notebook) from the NVidia site.  Been doing this for six years now, and never had an issue.

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 551
Message 7 of 18

I am running with Optimus currently. I did not try to download from Nvidia directly, nor using Discrete only mode, but if the situation will not resolve, I will have to probably Smiley Happy

There is no 32bit version offered for the ThinkPad P52 (on the Lenovo Support site), all drivers are for 64bit versions of Windows only. 

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
bupbechanh
Serial Port
Views: 548
Message 8 of 18

My P52 same your specs:

i7-8850H and NVIDIA P3200 card, FHD screen, Windows 10 x64 version 1709 .

I downloaded NVIDIA driver from the Lenovo support site (not from NVIDIA Site), everything successfully and working fine, not have any problem. You can try its and let we know if you got errors !

pcsupport.lenovo.com/vn/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p52-type...

ThinkPad Video Features (NVIDIA Quadro N18 with NVIDIA Control Panel) for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Thin...

ThinkPad Video Features (NVIDIA Quadro N18 with NVIDIA Control Panel) Driver for Windows 10 (version...

NVIDIA Quadro N18E / N18P Graphics Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad P52 - 24.21.13.9921 - 2...

techdiva
Paper Tape
Views: 527
Message 9 of 18

I tried Lenovo website and Nvdia website to download but both failed. The Nvidia asked me to go to Geforce website. It successfully downloaded some driver but in Vantage still says install failed. But in device manager I have the version 25.21.14.1672. which is the latest version.  

nel23
What's DOS?
Views: 408
Message 10 of 18

I was able to update by using the drivers (multiple ones) from the Lenovo website and by installing them after disabling the Nvidia graphics adapter in Device Manager and then installing. I had tried first installing from the driver exe's and since the install driver files were already in the windows folders I updated the driver with the disabled adapter by pointing windows to the folder C:\DRIVERS\WIN. I updated to the next version of the driver, rebooted, and then did the subsequent driver release. Vantage shows the update and no error.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals