Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrygel
Paper Tape
Views: 275
Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad P52 is not getting powered through the power supply

Hello Community

I've got a brand new P52 with a Thunderbolt 3 workstation dock. Unfortunately the system is not getting enough power to keep it running.

If I attach the power to the system the battery is getting charged, but as soon as I boot the system up, it reports that it is not getting enough power to run the system. It doesn't matter if I attach the system to the workstation dock or to any of the power supplies directly (170W or 230W). As soon as the system is booted, not enough power is being supplied and the system runs on battery.

I've already installed the latest drivers to both the system and the workstation dock.

Any idea how to fix that?

I've tried to open a ticket at this brilliant eService Ticketing, but this won't let me create one. The Link to the video regarding possible causes seems to be broken as well. https://support.lenovo.com/vidoes/VID100760

I'm realy pi... off spending half a day failing to fix it and unable to open a support case.

Regards

Christian

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 236
Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkPad P52 is not getting powered through the power supply

Hi chrygel,

Welcome to the community forums.

Found a similar discussion here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P52-Thunderbolt-3-Not-enough-power/td-p/.... This might help.

Thanks!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

chrygel
Paper Tape
Views: 215
Message 3 of 4

Hello Auxen_Lenovo

no, this is not my issue. I believe the issue is either within the Notebook's power supply or some weird software settings. If I remove the battery, connect the Notebook to the 170W power supply, the notebook will start up until the login screen. As soon as I log into the notebook, power gets lost and the notebook is dead.

Something is telling the notebook it is unable to draw enough power threw the power supply. Charging the battery is fine, but running the laptop is not possible.

Regards

Christian 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 159
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for getting back to us.

Since you have tried removing the battery and connecting the laptop to a 170W power supply it will definitely, going to work since it has lessen the power that comes from the battery. Based on the link that was provided by Auxen, one of our users tried plugging the 170W PSU along with the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C cable into one of the USB-C ports.

Kind Regards. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors