cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ravesb0ss
Punch Card
Views: 298
Message 1 of 7

ThinkPad P52 issues - What's my options?

I've had my P52 for soon to be a year now and, over the past 9 or 10 months, I've experienced more and more issues with the device.

What started out as rare and occasional stutters, where everything would freeze for a few seconds has turned into a habit. Furthermore, a number of issues with the windows interface have surfaced over the past half-year, where it takes seconds for even the Windows start menu to properly appear and leaving some programs glitchy and messy. These problems come and go and regardless of what task I'm running. As this is quite disruptive I have consulted these forums, sadly with no avail. Seeing as my T61 has worked fine without any unexpected troubles for over a decade now I expected more from a device like this. Now I'm wondering what my options are for solving them.

Thanks in advance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 285
Message 2 of 7

Re: ThinkPad P52 issues - What's my options?

vague complaints like freezing and stuttering are usually software (windows) related.  The first step is to check the event log to see if there is a message at the time of a problem  Often a device driver will throw a message.  The next step is to constder doing a clean install.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ve2mrx
802.11n
Views: 244
Message 3 of 7

Hi!

I would check with Intel eXtreme Tuning Utility if you have thermal throttle. If so, it may indicate cooling issues, and that is a hardware problem.

I would also do HDD checks to make sure it's healthy, and ensure this disk has at least 10GB free. I would also do a Windows Disk Cleanup in admin mode. Note: if Windows is on an SSD, make sure there is enough unused space for writes to be fast. Try to TRIM the drive.

Next would be, as previously mentioned, trying a new Windows install in a separate partition and test from there.

Martin

I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
P52 I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD
Ravesb0ss
Punch Card
Views: 220
Message 4 of 7

Been using Intel XTU to undervolt previously, to attempt to improve cooling, but it basically lasted a couple of hours until the computer crashed and everything was reset to default values. Judging by the temperatures it's reading there shouldn't be a thermal limitation.

I've got no traditional HDD's, only an NVME SSD which I configured the computer with and a secondary SATA M.2 SSD which I plugged in once I got the device. I make sure there's always more than 50% unused space on either drives to make sure they aren't unnecessarily strained.

I did a complete reinstall of Windows and it seems as if there are some bugs with the Windows build itself, such as delays when clicking the Start menu. The thing that worries me the most is the fact that the machine feels just as sluggish now despite reinstalling Windows.

ve2mrx
802.11n
Views: 201
Message 5 of 7

Hi!

What Windows version is it?

I highly recommend Windows 10 Pro, 1809. From what Woody and Susan write on https://www.askwoody.com/, Windows 10 1903 is NOT business-ready, contrary to what Microsoft blabs. I run my devices on 1809 Pro, and I have no such issue on my P52. I use a Logitech M720 mouse on Unifying, with the current Logitech Options software, and I have not noticed any pointer lag from mouse, trackpad or trackpoint

Recommendations: Install Windows 1809 with network disconnected, and set as directed there:

Woody on Windows: Time to install Microsoft's mainstream September patches – and avoid the dregs. (Or similarly like this). It will delay update installation for a while, so Microsoft has a chance to fix their bad quality updates. This should help exclude a bad Windows patch/Windows 1903 issue from your setup.

Questions: With what device do you "click" on Start? An external mouse, trackpad, trackpoint? I think some have/had issues with the built-in trackpad. I suppose Lenovo Vantage says everything is up-to-date?

Martin

I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
Ravesb0ss
Punch Card
Views: 173
Message 6 of 7

I've got the latest Windows 10 Home build, version 1903. I'll look into installing said version.

I also use a Logitech M720 mouse with a Unifying device, but it's not the cursor that is the problem, but rather feeling like the system is bogged down or just not particularly responsive. I have my trackpad disabled since I never use it, and Vantage is always kept up to date.

ve2mrx
802.11n
Views: 142
Message 7 of 7

Well, Windows 10 Home is thought of as the Windows open beta tester "ring" by most IT people... That's unfortunate, but the main Windows Update delaying features are "Pro/Enterprise" only, as Microsoft needs to have it's updates tested somewhere!

In 1903, Microsoft has opened some of those settings to all, but your issues seem linked to 1903, so that's not helping right now :-/

One thought: If it's spurious, could it be a background process choking the machine? Microsoft's Process Explorer could help pinpoint the culprit, and Bitsum's CPUbalance or Process Lasso could restrain such hogging processes. I use Process Lasso in combination with ParkControl on my machines to make them more responsive. Now I think of it, maybe CPU core parking could be one issue in your problem...

What Power profile are you using?

Martin

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors