Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmayssf
Punch Card
Views: 435
Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad P70 CD tray ejects intermittently when power is plugged in/unplugged

Hey all,

I am troubleshooting some issues on a ThinkPad P70 with Windows 7 Professional and have come across an odd one.

When unplugging or plugging the computer in to power, sometimes the CD tray will eject on its own. It doesn't happen every time, but is somewhat frequent.

I've run Lenovo update to pull the latest drivers, didn't correct the issue.

No BIOS update was detected by the Lenovo tool.

I also tried removing the drivers and uninstalling the drive through Device Manager, but the issue persists after rebooting.

I haven't been able to find anything relevant in my searches online yet, but I'm still digging.

If anyone has any suggestions on things to try/look at, it'd be much appreciated! Thanks!

dacailibbyeahr
Punch Card
Views: 381
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad P70 CD tray ejects intermittently when power is plugged in/unplugged

I found this issue also. In the end, i disable it. 

After disable, it will not eject anymore.

mmayssf
Punch Card
Views: 369
Message 3 of 5

Re: ThinkPad P70 CD tray ejects intermittently when power is plugged in/unplugged

Thanks for your reply. Sorry you're having to deal with it too.

What exactly did you end up disabling? The optical drive?

I think the user I'm working with actually utilizes it now and then, so it won't be feasible to disable the drive.

I ended up calling Lenovo support. They had never heard of this before and have shipped me a replacement DVD drive to install.

I'll post back to update if this resolves the issue or not.

Highlighted
dacailibbyeahr
Punch Card
Views: 366
Message 4 of 5

Yes.I disable the optical driver completely from device manager since i don't use it at all.

I am going to return my p70 since the lenovo service center detect unstable power supply from main supply to

south bridge. I am not sure the ubstable power supply is related to this issue or not.

Former Employee
Views: 311
Message 5 of 5

In response to customer reports of optical drive trays unexpectedly opening on P70 ThinkPads when AC power is added or removed, Lenovo has released a fix in EC Firmware v1.09, packaged with the BIOS.

Here is a link to download BIOS v1.19, EC Firmware v1.12: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-P-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-P70...

Thank you,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors