Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
survivant
Punch Card
Views: 725
Message 1 of 8

ThinkPad P70 is stuck at Lenovo logo screen after Hibernate

hello.  When I restart the computer after a Hibernate (Windows 10) the computer sometime the computer stall at the Lenovo boot screen. 

I updated all the firmware and software available in Companion.

There is a reason for that ?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 724
Message 2 of 8

Re: ThinkPad P70 is stuck at Lenovo logo screen after Hibernate

Do you have the latest BIOS?  

Do you authenticate through a domain controller?  Where is network boot in the boot order?

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 674
Message 3 of 8

You should not be seeing the Lenovo Boot Screen when resuming from hibernation since that is only displayed when booting up from scratch, so it sounds to me like your system is failing to hibernate.

It could be caused by a corrupt hiberfil.sys file, which is where the current state is stored on the HD when the system goes into hibernation.     The hiberfil.sys file can can be deleted and rebuilt quite easily by first disabling Hibernation, whcih deletes the file, and then re-enabling it to create a new one.

How to disable and re-enable hibernation

• Right Click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)   
  • Select Yes at User Account Control popup window
  • In the Command Prompt window, type:    powercfg /h off   and press Enter to disable hibernation

Note: It will take about 30 seconds or so for the command to finish, and return to the C:\WINDOWS\System32> prompt

• Next type:  powercfg /h on   and press Enter  to re-enable hibernation and re-create the hiberfil.sys file.

Also, although you mentioned that you have the latest drivers, manually verify that your Display Adapter driver is the latest one available from Lenovo.

Good Luck,

survivant
Punch Card
Views: 647
Message 4 of 8

thanks for the solution, but if the hibernate file was corrupted, it won't be able possible to reboot in hibernate.

For of the time, I can reboot 4-5 times without problems, but sometime it stall at the Lenovo red boot screen.

But, if I hold power button, release it and reboot the PC again, it will resume fine, and the session is restore exactly where I left it.

I saw in the release note in the previous bios that problem similar was fixed, but it look like it still there

survivant
Punch Card
Views: 643
Message 5 of 8

I have the latest version of

wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion
SMBIOSBIOSVersion
N1DET85W (2.13 )

I installed all the available updates on Lenovo Companion,  but I found that some update are available here

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p...

but not in Companion yet like :

Intel Management Engine 11.6 Firmware

I have

11.0.18.1002   N1DRG32W   01       2017/01/11

but it look like the latest release is :

survivant
Punch Card
Views: 640
Message 6 of 8

I have a also a

ThinkPad Pro Dock

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/fwdphb07.txt

I'll update to the latest version too.  By the way.  There is a typo in the readme file :

Package Name       ThinkPad Pro Dock, Ultra Dock,Workstaion Dock Firmware Utility

Support models     ThinkPad Pro Dock, Ultra Dock,Workstaion Dock

Firmware Version   2.33.000

Format             Executable file

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 634
Message 7 of 8

@JDGillis wrote:

You should not be seeing the Lenovo Boot Screen when resuming from hibernation since that is only displayed when booting up from scratch, ...

I respectfully disagree.

You should see the Lenovo splash on resuming from hibernation, since after writing the hibernation file the machine does a shutdown.  The resume goes through POST (or something very similar) before loading the hibernation file.

That's certainly the case with my Lenovo laptops.

regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

survivant
Punch Card
Views: 575
Message 8 of 8

I confirm that I still have the problem with the latest firmware

Top Kudoed Authors