Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenardg
802.11n
Views: 372
Message 1 of 1

ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock review and troubleshooting

I received the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock back in October. In fact, I got two: one for the home office and one for the work office. It came in a small but heavy package (yes, it has two power adapters inside: a 65W and a 230W one).

As mobile workstations have a power requirement that is more than 100W - P1/X1X requires 135W, the P52 170W and the P72 230W - a single TB3 cable cannot carry power to the notebook. Hence the special double cable that comes with the dock. I know I read a lot of arguments on which is better - the mechanical dock or the cable dock. 

P1261275.jpg

I have been using both docks daily since I got them, and I gathered my thoughts into two articles.  

• The review has my opinion about the dock and how it functions. You will also find more pictures about the dock and cable in this article.
  • The troubleshooting article has some issues I bumped into and some solutions for them. 

One issue in particular mechanical dock fans will love :-) The cable can dislodge easily, and while the dock functions because there is a Thunderbolt 3 connection, the power connection gets terminated and the notebook will use battery power. Read more about in my troubleshooting article.

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors