Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Commando303
Token Ring
Views: 286
Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad W500 and Windows 10: Drivers and Most Up-to-Date Options

Hello, I have spent a long while using my Lenovo ThinkPad W500 laptop with Windows 7 and with Office 2010. Recently, unfortunately, the physical device accumulated enough injuries that I decided to obtain a replacement: same W500 model, however loaded with more up-to-date software: Windows 10, and Office 365. I am trying to become accustomed to the nuances thereof: some are welcome (faster start-up, useful features), whereas other simply are frustrating (e.g., programs much more heavily demand an Internet connexion, and constantly seeks one when this is inactive; many applications have a "desktop" version as well as a "tablet," the latter of which launch by default, despite the former are more robust).

Anwyay, the new laptop does not seem to have come with many of the ThinkPad features of the old: I cannot use the fingerprint reader; the multi-touch gestures of the touchpad do not function (e.g., chiral scrolling, two-finger scrolling, middle button to launch Web links); the function keys (F-2 through F-12) do not work; and a few other points.

May someone please recommend the best drivers to download, as well as where to find them, for a W500 to operate on Windows 10? Overall, I am wishful to become comfortable with the new operating system, rather than just roll back to Windows 7 (which will cease to be supported by Microsoft, in 2020).

Thank you, all, very much.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 269
Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkPad W500 and Windows 10: Drivers and Most Up-to-Date Options

Many people do run windows 10 on that hardware, but there isn't really Lenovo driver support.  Searching this forum will help with people's experiences and I suggest that you will do better searching for help on the T400.  There are a lot more T400 machines than W500 and they use the same touchpads, wireless, ethernet, bluetooth, etc.  I believe that the only part that would be different on the W500 is the video and I would expect the one from windows update should be ok.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 267
Message 3 of 4

Hello,

According to my research the W500 is about ten years old. Microsoft is encouraging owners of older hardware to buy new. Windows 10 may be installed, but unfortunately it may not work well on older machines. If you cannot find compatible drivers on the Lenovo Support Site, you may be out of luck.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Commando303
Token Ring
Views: 232
Message 4 of 4

Thank you, both. Nonetheless, I remain hopeful for the best possible function of my W500, running Windows 10. As I say, with the exception of the above-cited concerns, most aspects look to work well.

Shall await further replies. Thank you very much.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors