Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LWessels
Paper Tape
Views: 1,724
Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad W510 Wouldn't Boot After BIOS Update via Thinkvantage Update

Guys the darn-est think happen today, I received a new Lenova ThinkPad W510 lab top from work and were in the process of migrating my data from the old one.

I decided to update the system using Thinkvantage Update utility prior to loading any other apps I may require, and the last update in the lists was the BIOS which appears to have installed successfully and rebooted on its own. However after the reboot the system freeze at the BIOS screen for more than 40 mins. I tried pressing the Thinkvantage blue button but noting happen. I then proceeded to manually reboot the machine and now it just light up the power, audio buttons and go blank. The F1 function key does not work, in fact noting works.

I check the system online and it has warranty up to 2013-03-16 in the USA but the number listed on the site does not seems to work for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

don820
Token Ring
Views: 1,692
Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkPad W510 Wouldn't Boot After BIOS Update via Thinkvantage Update

Do you have *anything* plugged into the USB ports?  Try starting the computer after unplugging every peripheral attached.

If that doesn't work, try unplugging all peripherals and power, and remove the battery.  Then press the power button 10 times in succession, and then press and hold power for 10 seconds.  Then put battery back and power cord, and try booting from there.

The number I use for support is 1-800-565-3344, but I'm in Canada, so not certain it's the same for you.

Good luck!

LWessels
Paper Tape
Views: 1,670
Message 3 of 4

As instructed, I did what you recommend but it did not help. Thanks very much for the assistance provided, at least it was something that I could try to recover. I guess its support next.

markgrif
HDMI
Views: 1,648
Message 4 of 4

Try downloading the ISO format of the Bios from the Lenovo site for your machine. You'll obviously have to make the CD/DVD on another machine. Boot from this ISO image, if you can. The Bios settings the machine thinks it has may not allow you to boot from an external source, but the default IS to allow it.

The re-install may clear up the problems that you have.

Good Luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors